Disabling Com1 (RS232) serial port on boot up

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the forum, new to Windows 10.
I have a legacy system that used Win 2000 as it's o/s. I have upgraded to Win 10, but on boot up windows crashes.
This is because the Com1 serial port was configured in Win2000 to act like an I/O port and not as a RS232 serial port.
I have an UPS hanging off the Com1 port, in Win2000 the client software monitors some lines on the Com port for any power outages or low battery via the UPS.
I know that Win 10 does not support this anymore, but to over come the crash on boot up, can the com1 serial port be disabled anywhere until Win 10 has booted up?

Hope I have explained the scenario properly!
Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
Kind regards
Jeff

Reaction score
Can the UPS software talk to an USB port? Maybe a serial to USB converter would do the job.

Reaction score
If you disable the port in Device Manager does the machine boot properly?

Device manager is not yet active as his computer crashes at BOOT-UP.

The only solution I know is to disable the serial port in the BIOS if possible (and with a machine that old it should be possible). Did you already install windows 10 on that old system?? Just asking out of curiosity cause I have two machines that will not install Windows 8 or higher at all (non supported command set).

Ask a Question