Required updates disabling Office software

Reaction score
Hi. I am brand new here. My office recently purchased some HP Probook x360 11 G1 notebooks to be used off of our domain. We set them up with an admin account so we can control some power settings, etc. that we don't want them to change. Then a local account that they use to log in and user Office applications, etc. The problem we are having is that Windows 10 has started to come up with a security update that REQUIRES them to use admin credentials. They are not permitted to use any Office applications until the update is installed. So with 200+ users, we have had to deal with them 1 by 1 so far. But we are anticipating that ALL of these devices will eventually require this update. I am here to find out if there is ANY way to allow these types of updates to come down without a admin password? We are finding that the update takes 3+ hours and we don't have the time to babysit each device. So it would be easier to choose an option to allow important updates to come through automatically. OR I guess we will be forced to deal with each as they come in.. with the hope that we can enter the password and send them on their way.

Anyone have any ideas for this little predicament that we are in?? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Reaction score
Hi kristellar26,

you need to talk to your network admin rep, they should be able to do updates across the entire network without the need to do it on each individual PC???. :)

Reaction score
That’d be an idea if they were on the network.. they are not. That’s the problem. I am part of the IT team.

Reaction score
My thoughts: there's 2 types accounts, Microsoft and Local. There's 2 types of each of those, User with Administrative rights and Standard User. Then there's the default hidden actual Administrator who can do a few things the others can't.

If needing to update a few machines I open Settings, Update and Security and on the Check for updates scroll down to Learn more which leads me into a place to get the offline installers for the updates, can get both the 32-bit/x86 and the 64-bit/x64 versions, save to a Thumb drive or two for installing and not needing Internet access and the inevitable waiting for the download to complete followed by the install.

It may be important to know if the software versions involved are Professional, Educational, Enterprise or Home/Core.

Reaction score
Yeah they are not on a network, at all. They are standalone notebooks. They are meant to be used out in the field only.. not in the office. So to put them on the network wouldn't have made sense. So now we struggle with the disadvantages of them NOT being on a network. In my previous experience most Windows updates are automatic and don't require any passwords.. so this threw us all off.

Ask a Question