When returning from sleep a password is now required

Reaction score
I was able to follow the guidance in this thread below and make my wife's Surface work without requiring a password when returning from sleep over a year ago. After a 2016-08-26 update on my wife's Surface this problem of requiring a password has returned. Everything is set so no password should be required AND there is now a picture that presents itself when returning from sleep. If asleep long enough (10-15 minutes) it again requires a password. Thanks for the update Microsoft!

Any advice

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/password-after-waking-from-sleep.1363/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Start Button, Setting Icon, Accounts, Sign-in options, Drop down arrow at the top, select "Never".

PasswordSettings.PNG

AND

PowerPwd.JPG

AND

ScrSvrPwd.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. After the anniversary update the "never require sign in" is not available. Also after the update, the power "advanced settings" not requiring a password on wake up is not available. I checked and the screen saver is on "None" and the "Display logon screen on resume" box is unchecked.

Thanks again, I guess well have to keep searching for the answer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The images I provided above are from a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer running the Anniversary Edition update Version 1607 Build 14393.105

Reaction score
I don't show the option on the Advanced Power options any longer either.

The option Trouble shows from the Settings-Accounts-Sign-in does have the option for not using a password.

On the bottom of that same page is a Lock Screen link which does open the Screen Saver no logon screen option.

If your sleep options aren't working correctly you might think about updating or reinstalling your video driver.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say..."The option Trouble shows from the Settings-Accounts-Sign-in does have the option for not using a password."

The Settings>Accounts>Sign-in options tab says:

"Your account doesn't have a password. You must use a password before you can use the other password options."

I even tried adding a password there, but still no joy.

On the bottom of that same page the Lock Screen link to the Screen Saver option is already set to "not log on".

I'm not sure what updating or reinstalling the video driver has to do with anything. Maybe you could expand a little on that. Thanks.

Reaction score
You need a password to sign into Windows before the other options will work. None of your posts indicated you were not using one.

If you had done some type of workaround so you did not have to use a Password, perhaps the update reset that. Have you checked to see if that part is still working correctly?

SleepPass.JPG

Reaction score
OK, my laptop is 64-bit. Trouble, if you can tell me where to check my Anniversary Edition update "version" I would appreciate it and I'll check it. The version or build doesn't show up in Control Panel>System specs. Maybe that is the problem.

Saltgrass, I am running the local account with no password (so it boots straight to the desktop). I believe the picture you are showing is the Settings>Accounts>Sign-in options tab "before" the Anniversary Update. The "Require sign-in section" you show (where it says "If you've been away when should Windows require you to sign in again?"), does not show up after the anniversary update is installed.

I did not use any type of workaround to prevent having to use a password prior to the anniversary update. I used the option that your picture shows that was there before the update.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, I am running the latest with all upgrades. Type Winver in a run box to see the version.

Are you using the Tablet Mode, there may be a difference since I don't run that mode.

But again, the dialog states the password options are not available unless you are using a sign-in password.

Reaction score
The solution (which included images) that Trouble provided on 28th August 2016 worked for me.

I just signed in for an account purely so that I could thank him. My PC now does not require a password when it comes out of sleep mode - for now anyway, until Microsoft change things yet again of course!

Thanks Trouble!

Ask a Question