Disabling automatic update and scheduled restart seem absent in the Anniversary update.

Reaction score
Windows 10 restarted while I was working. It is just rude Microsoft. Setting all connections to metered and beginning to consider switching away from this operating system.

Reaction score
With the update you have to set he quiet time for updates to install. With the 5111ersion, I think it was 03:30 by default, I don't know why they would change that. MS also disabled "Restore" again? I don't know why they insist on disabling and deleting the previous restore points. Users have no option to restore to an earlier time should the update be problematic.

Reaction score
I uninstalled the Anniversary update as I was very disappointed with it. All I saw was more restriction and intrusion on privacy. Did not see any usability improvements such custom darker themes for explorer.

Reaction score
I uninstalled the Anniversary update as I was very disappointed with it. All I saw was more restriction and intrusion on privacy. Did not see any usability improvements such custom darker themes for explorer.
There were no improvements and in my case screwed my pc so i also went back to previous build.;)

Reaction score
Does the Anniversary update ignore the fact you set all connections to metered to block updates? Looks like active hours only changes the time of the crime as most updates will put my ISP in punishment mode. Seriously looking for Anniversary update features I can't live without and how long you could survive without further updates/fixes. Always have been a believer in currency but this is a new level.

Reaction score
I believe you will still receive security updates even on a metered connection. Metered connection just blocks updates for apps and other MS products?

Reaction score
I believe you will still receive security updates even on a metered connection. Metered connection just blocks updates for apps and other MS products?

NO
FWIW 'metered' only applies to Wifi connections. Plug in an ethernet cable to a router EVEN IF that router is connected to a cellular or other bandwidth capped connection and it doesn't work.

MS are making a bad assumption here. That you have lots of bandwidth at home but the only time you are on the meter is at Starbucks or something. But from their POV if they just allow you to say that everything is metered some people just will never download any updates.

Later: it looks like you can make this work but it is not clear if it really does.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-ethernet-connection-set-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
In previous versions of windows, users had a choice what updates they wanted to download. That option is no longer available with Win.10. We have to take all the crap they push on us for apps and other MS product, Thats fine if your a MS aficionado's. I'm not the only startup app I have running is local weather, the rest are all turned off and unpinned from the start menu.

Reaction score
Norton, you must admit that MS have been clear on this with the updates every since the beginning of the Insider program in 2014. An overreaction to Windows XP I think.

All those dumb tiles and stuff can be uninstalled or just not enabled

Reaction score
With the update you have to set he quiet time for updates to install. With the 5111ersion, I think it was 03:30 by default, I don't know why they would change that. MS also disabled "Restore" again? I don't know why they insist on disabling and deleting the previous restore points. Users have no option to restore to an earlier time should the update be problematic.
I agree. The same happened here. Along with the freezing, this is the last straw. I will go back to previous build and start looking at Macs.

Reaction score
If you simply wish to defer the restart following receipt of an update indefinitely it's very easy.

Download, install and run a small freeware program called 'Don't Sleep' (or similar). The option to block shutdown and restart means Windows won't restart even after the 12 hr max active hours period.

I had a pending restart during my active hours period, and with this running, my PC did not restart at the end of the period.

Ask a Question