Disc Partictioned

Reaction score
Hello

I am running Win7 Pro and my C: drive is partitioned.

Will I be able to perform a Win10 "upgrade" -- rather than a "clean" install -- while my C: drive is partitioned, or will I need to remove the partition beforehand?

thank you

Reaction score
Here's what might happen- when you try to shrink a partition to make room for 10 using 7's disk management the maximum available shrink space will come back to you in megabits not gigabits as required. This is due to the way 7 is programmed. The solution is a third party partition manager like Mini Tool Partition Manager which will force the space.

Run a search to find it. Others on here may recommend other options.

Reaction score
That is. If you NEED to shrink a partition. You don't say anything so I presume a straight Windows update from W7 to W10 to get the free system. If you are doing anything more complex you have to tell us in the question.

Trouble is correct as usual IF you need to shrink a partition. If it is close then I'd run CCleaner to regain some space first.

Reaction score
thank you for your replies ....

I intend to do a straight win10 update (free) ... my disk0 partition is as follows:

oQVBywf.jpg

From what I understand, I should be good to go, correct?

I guess it is a two-part question ... the second part being will I end up with the same partitioning post-windows update?

thank you again

Reaction score
I think that somewhere you will end up with either your 100Mb partition increased to 500MB and C: made a little smaller or possibly Z made a bit smaller with a 450Mb partition added at the end.

I am not sure. My PC which was updated from W7 has the original 100Mb system partition, C: and a 450Mb partition at the end.

My laptop which was freshly installed has a 500Mb partition and the rest of the disc as C:

I suspect that YOU won't have to do any partition fiddling that W10 will do it all for you as you are doing the update thing.

Ask a Question