Discovery problem private network but not home. Can't see my computer.

Reaction score
Three computers.
Number 1 (the problem) is a brand new MSI Gaming motherboard with realtek killer network adapter with a ssd drive
I have both installed the adapter with the motherboard disk drivers AND updated it with MSI live update
one (the problem child) is Ethernet W10, and cannot see itself, but can see two and three
Two is Wifi W10 and can see two and three but NOT one (so same view as one)
Three is ethernet and is windows 7 (why did we every leave) and can see call three computers easily !

I have changed out the router - no difference
I have reinstalled windows 10 fresh from the ISO this morning...- no difference
I have uninstalled the killer network adapter and deleted its drivers and then built it up again - no difference
I have checked and better checked that ONE and TWO have the discovery settings checked

One and Two are set private but no home group

On one , two and three, I can enter "\\one" on the file explorer page and it finds the computer immediately
So its just the automatic discovery of ONE that I simply cannot achieve
4 days into this and I am thinking the only common thread is the physical network adapter and should I buy a pcie card...
Having reinstalled W10 from the ISO, it would have to be some weird setting in the ISO that is out ?
I have tried without firewall and anti virus down too
I am THAT desperate HELP please ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have something to report. My life is now all rose petals once again. In disk manager, I noticed that there was no descriptor on the C: drive partition... I right clicked -- then properties and changed the name attribute and clicked - it refused and said it could not be changed... Then I remember that a similar thing happened on my old imaged drive and I got round it by giving myself security permissions on C: root. The system gave me dire warnings not to do that, but once I did it, the C disk descriptor name changed. Then I thought hum.... I wonder if that is why the discovery service could not find my computer, so I went to file explorer clicked network and VABOOMMMMM! After 4 days trying, I had a beautiful network !!! I ran upstairs to wifi no2 machine and yes ! Full network that opened instantly. Actually, the W10 machines discovered and opened far faster than the W7 machine.... .
I now have confidence to convert the W7 machine...

Guys, have I done something reckless by giving myself permission on C: Root ? What
is an alternative ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
oops ! my happiness was short lived.. I saved an image down and then restored it to a spare boot partition on disk 2.
It booted just fine but the elusive computer did not show ... I went to the c: partition and tried the permission thing -but nope the problem computer did not show...

Then I went back to my original drive and the problem computer was no long showing there... so I am back in the dumps again..

Something transitory seems to be happening but I know now what.
It was wonderful while it lasted --5 minutes... and I didn't touch any settings...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open a command prompt and ping the other computer by IP address and then by NetBIOS name
click the start button and type
\\OtherComputer (where other computer is the name of wait for it...... the other computer)
You can also do that with an IP address of the other computer
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is the actual IP address of the other computer)
Once you have done that, recheck the contents of the "network" element in File Explorer and see if it is populated properly.
There seems to be some issue, especially since the most recent updates, as to the performance of NetBIOS propagation. It doesn't seem to be as robust or resilient as it has been formerly.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that.. I pinged all3 by IP address and by name and they all checked out. No change in file manager where I can call them all up by "\\"... I have mapped a couple of common folders and they respond instantly, so I know the problem child is on the net just fine - but undiscovered at the head of file manager... The problem machine is from clean install (I installed to 2 different drives just to check and they are both the same), and the 2 that work ok are a windows 7 and an upgrade w10..... I have checked the discovery and sharing settings a million times.. If I chge the workgroup of the problem to 'Workgroup" I still see the others...seems 'workgroup' is ignored and just any computer that is present is listed-except the one I want, the one I am on..... ps I changed the workgroup back to match the others just in case..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK... I very seldom even use the Computer Browser service anymore.
It seems to depend on which computer is booted first and which computer wins the Browse Master Election.
I don't have the time, patience nor inclination to deal with it. I just UNC to it and it's there.

Reaction score
IDK... I very seldom even use the Computer Browser service anymore.
It seems to depend on which computer is booted first and which computer wins the Browse Master Election.
I don't have the time, patience nor inclination to deal with it. I just UNC to it and it's there.
I have decided that I have a love/hate relationship with W10. I like the smoothness etc but its breaking down and freezing up and not finding stuff and I am just not used to it. I like stuff to work. I have been retired 10 years but I like my wife to work. W7 is so reliable. I have had my Toyota 8 years - one battery that's it..... Perhaps Toyota should go into the software business..

Reaction score
I have the same problem since the creators update. (After I finally got by the display problems fixed). I tried the \\name like you and it worked. Now I'll see how long that lasts. Thanks for that fix.

Ask a Question