Disk Drive Continously Crunching

Reaction score
I have GOOGLED this issue and found too many variances for a proper solution. So now I am hoping someone can solve this annoying (scary) situation I have with my computer.

The disk drive seems to be continuously "crunching", especially when it is idle.
When I move my mouse this noise stops, unless I know I am doing some heavy data input/output.

This scares me because I read somewhere this may be overtasking the drive itself and create a premature crash!

I have the latest Windows 10 with the current updates as best as I know.
My disk drive is a 2.0 Terabyte WDC, Driver date 2006-06-21
I have 16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS, with an intel i7-6700 CPU

I have not been able to finds a solution to this problem.
My Task Manager indicates no programs running when I check it out.

Anyone know why and how I can correct this annoying sound?

Thank you

Reaction score
Hi Tegiro,

looking at the driver date (2006), I would say that the drive has had its day?, 12 years is a long time and it might be time for a new SSD (they are quite cheap now) and use the old HDD for back-up/storage?.:)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The disk drive seems to be continuously "crunching", especially when it is idle.
When I move my mouse this noise stops, unless I know I am doing some heavy data input/output.

With windows 10 came the app evolution and with that came apps running in the background and the constant OS checking for updates (for apps). Then there's windows defender doing it's thing and anything you have downloaded and maybe running in the background. Then there's all the telemetry and analytics being checked/recorded and sent.....for all those ads MS is pushing down our throats and whatever else they deem necessary to use from you.

Reaction score
Hi Tegiro,

looking at the driver date (2006), I would say that the drive has had its day?, 12 years is a long time and it might be time for a new SSD (they are quite cheap now) and use the old HDD for back-up/storage?.:)

Thank Wolfie,
Even though the Driver date indicates 2006 I've only had the PC since Dec 2016. It is a fairly new disk and this should not be happening. Is my disk that old? What you say is even though the Drive date is12 years old it the disk has only been in use for 18 months. Does the date of the Driver supersede the age of the disk? Would there be a Driver update for this?

Reaction score
Hi @Tegiro,

if you have only had the disk for 2 years, it may still have a problem but I really don't know?, have you run "chdsk" at all to see if it can find/solve any problems for you??.

Right click "C" drive in the explorer window > Properties > Tools > Check and follow any instructions:

upload_2018-5-11_6-11-12.png

:)

Reaction score
Go to the Western Digital website and download their hard drive testing software. Install it and run the program. Inside the program there is a short test and an extended test. Run the short test first. If the drive passes then run the long test. Excessive clicking of a hard drive usually means it's failing. But the only way to really know is to run the manufacturer's test software.

Ask a Question