Disk Management opens in a strange new way.

Reaction score
DiskMan.JPG

After many years of behaving 'normally', recently Disk Management in x32Win10ProV22H2 has been opening in a large frame (outlined in blue) which contains a smaller window (outlined in red) with the usual Disk Management data in it. I can make the window the size of the frame, but the next time I open it, it is back to a small window. How can I restore the previous default mode that lacks the larger frame ?

Reaction score
Click the middle icon in the upper right corner of the red frame to fill the blue frame or click drag the right and bottom red borders to fill the blue frame.

Reaction score
I know about that technique, but it is not remembered, so next time I open Disk Management, I have to do it again. I'm hoping for a permanent solution, that reverts its behaviour/view to what it had for many years prior to this unwanted change.

Reaction score
What version of Windows 10 are you running?? My device manager looks different (22H2,19045), even if I search for device manager in settings. Usually I access that one through the "Computer management"

Attachments

• 2023-10-18_180644.jpg
    2023-10-18_180644.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
I know about that technique, but it is not remembered, so next time I open Disk Management, I have to do it again. I'm hoping for a permanent solution, that reverts its behaviour/view to what it had for many years prior to this unwanted change.
Sometimes Windows has to be "trained" by holding down the Ctrl key when closing to remember.

Reaction score
Grizzly - "What version of Windows 10 are you running??" as stated in my post: x32Win1OProV22H2; moreover I'm asking about Disk Management, NOT Device Manager.

Bighorn - Holding CTRL down when closing Disk Management - after maximising the window inside the frame - did NOT fix my problem.

Reaction score
Sorry if his is a dumb question:rolleyes:
You have tried deleteing the inner window by clicking either the large "X" or the normal one inside the smaller windows

Reaction score
If an apology is due, consider it made.
What @davehc said. The issue in keeping secrets about computers is that the only time 2 or more computers are exactly alike is when they are on the sellers' shelves. After sale and setup there will always be at least one difference, maybe small or maybe large, and that affects all use of them.

Reaction score
"keeping secrets about computers" If I had thought Actual Windows Management was relevant, I would have mentioned it; but then I would have solved the problem myself much earlier and would have had no need to post my question. I have been tweaking improvements to my x32 Win10Pro since I installed it years ago, and could not possibly list them all in an initial or subsequent post.

Ask a Question