Display Port Connection

Reaction score
Ready for prime time? I have a new build with an EVGA GTX 980 TI video card and an ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor connected with a display port 1.2 cable. Been having some issues with the taskbar not working right, monitor taking a long time to come to life after sleep mode and other niggling issues. Googling and reading leads me to believe that there are problems with the display port technology and problems have been caused by cables also. This afternoon I switched my setup to an HDMI connection and now the monitor springs to life quickly after sleep, the taskbar is working as it should and a couple other problems have gone away. Problem is the HDMI connection will only work at 30 Hz vs 60 Hz for the display port. The difference is quite noticeable when playing the Solitaire game and moving cards to different places. At 60 Hz the move is smooth and quick. At 30 Hz it is jerky and a bit slow. No idea how to fix things but I think I'll try a new cable since they don't cost much.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK... hopefully a new cable might do the trick, some of those cheaper versions are not shielded very well against interference.
Been reading a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about using the OSD for the monitor to enable a different display port "mode" 1.2 (whatever that is), to get 60 hz interpreted correctly by the display when using a display port.
I can't afford that GPU nor that 4k monitor, so I can't play with anything to experiment and duplicate the issue.
Good luck though and keep us posted as to what you figure out.

Reaction score
Hello Trouble. In the OSD you can select either display port stream 1.1 or 1.2. I've been using 1.2. Can't find a new cable locally (Walmart/Staples) so I drove 150 miles round trip to a Best Buy and Office Depot store and neither one had any display port cables. Guess I'll have to go with Newegg.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nothing in the nVidia control panel, flashing on and off, click me click me..... waving and gesturing to you in an attempt to encourage you to change a setting in there anywhere?

Reaction score
Nvidia automatically set the correct resolution at 60Hz. Nothing else needs attention.

Ask a Question