Distribution of October 2018 Update stopped

Reaction score
For all people that are having problems with the October 2018 1809 update and loss of files please read this from John Cable from the Microsoft Community, this is the link: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#WBz2COz4pki59qMG.97

His main assumption was and I quote him "that prior to re-releasing the October 2018 Update the engineering investigation determined that a very small number of users lost files during the October 2018 Update. This occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. In previous feedback from the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with KFR reported an extra, empty copy of Known Folders on their device. Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders. That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact".

See rest of this article at the link above, hope this helps, cheers.

Reaction score
I just got this new "2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for 64-based Systems (KB4464330)" that is just come up in "Windows Update" (I enclose an attachment) that MS are puting out today, maybe, its a fix for the 1809 problems? Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 10 Oct 2018 Update.JPG
    10 Oct 2018 Update.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
That's what help forums are for! More requests for help than assurance that all is OK.

Reaction score
Just read the link posted by StevenG. I happen to be one who checks for updates daily. The link said the update was paused after 2 days of release, and those who checked for updates between that time, were most likely to have suffer the issues mentioned. So I could have been one of those who may have suffered the issues some did. However I was not, a failed install twice on my desktop, but installation on laptop installed without issues
I did receive update KB4464330 today, so I'm thinking a re-release of the same one paused.

So with what was said in the link, tells me to stop checking for updates daily, and let them install as they become available? Could that be the best thing to do?

DP.

Reaction score
Well I've been updating my two computers since Windows 7 (7, 8, 8.1, 10) and haven't had any problems with any of these OS updates including to 1809, and even when I changed the hardware (upgrades of MB, CPU, Memory, PSU on both computers...)

The last time I did a clean install was from XP to 7...
Likewise, I don't quite understand why so many people seem to have problems updating/upgrading. All my
machines are self-built using my favorite ASUS brand MoBos AMD Processors and Radion graphics cards.
Never had a problem. My history: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP 7, 8, 10. Maybe its a matter of keeping drivers
up to date?

Reaction score
Does this only affect data and files on the C drive?
Is it safer to create another partition /drive for data?

Reaction score
Likewise, I don't quite understand why so many people seem to have problems updating/upgrading. All my
machines are self-built using my favorite ASUS brand MoBos AMD Processors and Radion graphics cards.
Never had a problem. My history: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP 7, 8, 10. Maybe its a matter of keeping drivers
up to date?

My HP Desktop 750-537cb got the following '1809 updates with no problems:
KB4464330 Cumulative update
KB4462930 Adobe Flash Player Update
and even ran the KB890830 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool X64 with "NO PROBLEMS"!
I believe you nailed it, Maybe it's a matter of keeping drivers up to date?[/QUOTE]
My machine is running Norton Security Suite and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware paid version!

Reaction score
up to date?

I started with 3, and skipped 98 and ME.

As to keeping drivers up to date, I learned the hard way that doing this, especially with third party driver updating utilities is a sure way to end up with an inoperable computer. The only driver I update myself is the Nvidia graphics card drivers, and they have to be WHQL certified before I update them. All other driver updates I leave to the Windows updates to deal with.

Reaction score
Does this only affect data and files on the C drive?
Is it safer to create another partition /drive for data?
From what I here, a lot of the file loss issues were with those who had moved their library folders to a different drive.

Reaction score
Bad idea. The geometry of the folders is arranged to work with how MS have decided. Make identical copies of folders and files, but never move them.

Ask a Question