October 13 Update

Reaction score
MS successfully installed cumulative update KB3097617 yesterday, 10/13. It is still trying to install its predecessor KB 3093266 every day, without success. If these are CUMULATIVE updates, why is it trying to install the earlier one, and how do I stop it from trying?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
MS successfully installed cumulative update KB3097617 yesterday, 10/13. It is still trying to install its predecessor KB 3093266 every day, without success. If these are CUMULATIVE updates, why is it trying to install the earlier one, and how do I stop it from trying?

Setting>System and Security>Windows Update>Change settings
Over there, there will be a drop down under important updates section. choose’let me decide which updates to download and install.’

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Setting>System and Security>Windows Update>Change settings
Over there, there will be a drop down under important updates section. choose’let me decide which updates to download and install.’
I can't seem to find that particular setting can you share where I should be looking?
This is all I see when I go to Settings -> Update & Security-> Windows Update-> I cannot seem to find the "Change settings" link.
Capture.JPG

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
I can't seem to find that particular setting can you share where I should be looking?
This is all I see when I go to Settings -> Update & Security-> Windows Update-> I cannot seem to find the "Change settings" link.
View attachment 1266
ok try this go to updates and see if you can find let me install updates then see if you can find the one trying to install and see if you can hide it that will stop it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, but as you can see from the image that I have posted above there is nothing there that suggests that I might be able to
go to updates and see if you can find let me install updates
On my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit install.
Is it possible that you have a different version, perhaps Enterprise or something that supports and allows a more robust system of managing updates.
Can you provide a screen shot of exactly what you are seeing?

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Just looked at mine and that one has to be installed, so try and install it yourself

Reaction score
Richard.

This has been an ongoing fight for many. I have had the experience once, and only on one of my computers. I tried some simple, and some very complicated means to solve the issue.

In the end, I read (somewhere on this forum) that a member had merely run scannow and the update was then successful. I tried this. Scannow reported no faults but, to my amazement, the update then loaded!

Just in case.
Right click the start orb.
Select the Command prompt (Admin)
Type in sfc /scannow.

It will take a while, according to the size and performance of your HD.

Reaction score
Hi Don.

I see you have Windows 10 home.
But, is it possible you have applied the published hack, to enable those items?
I don't think the options can be altered as a standard, as you have indicated. (But we live in hope that a mod will come with the big release next month.)

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Hi Don.

I see you have Windows 10 home.
But, is it possible you have applied the published hack, to enable those items?
I don't think the options can be altered as a standard, as you have indicated. (But we live in hope that a mod will come with the big release next month.)
Yes think it will come as standard in the end.
No all I did was untick the optional updates that are not needed and only let in the critical and important updates.
Have done it on all my friends computers as well.
Sorry did not even know there was a published hack.
Also don't forget I am on another forum which I think you are as well, and tutorial on there is good.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
I can't find an option anywhere to choose which updates to install. This was available on Windows 8.
I did upgrade from windows 8.1 where it could be done and think when windows 10 Home went in it took all my settings with it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think the options can be altered as a standard, as you have indicated.
Correct -o-mundo.
It is, in fact, a condition within the "Microsoft Software License Terms" explicitly in sub-section 6
6. Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Reaction score
View attachment 1266
Go to "Setting>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced options" and there you can control all windows update options. This is the latest update options on v1809 OS built 17765.55, simple

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This is the latest update options on v1809 OS built 17765.55, simple
This thread is going to be 3 years old, day after tomorrow.
I'm aware of the current options available in recent builds, however....
Three years ago Microsoft was a bit less supportive of delaying updates never mind selecting which updates to install or not
AND
The path (instructions) posted by the member who commented and I quoted at that time (three years ago), does not even exist anymore

Ask a Question