DNS resolution lag across entire machine, other PCs on network fine?

Reaction score
I have an issue that I have never seen before. The core problem is that often, when I go to websites, Chrome seems to be stuck on “resolving host” for 4 to 10 seconds, and eventually brings the website up. The same DNS lookup lag happens in Firefox, Edge, and IE as well.

I have tried connecting via both wired and wireless, and get the same issue either way.

I have tried disabling IPv6, no help. I also tried with both the ISP-provided DNS serves and Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4), same trouble either way.

We have another PC on the same network, also wired, that has NO trouble with DNS, websites come up very fast. We've even swapped the router plug spots, to no avail.

On the problem PC I’ve even gone to a command prompt and typed in “nslookup”, and sometimes I get timeouts right away. Sometimes nslookup says:

Default Server: Unknown
Address: 24.223.0.16

And sometimes it says:

Default Server: sulfur.intertech.net
Address: 24.223.0.16

Either way, when I type in a domain like yahoo.com at the prompt, I often get:

DNS request times out
Timeout was 2 seconds
DNS request times out
Timeout was 2 seconds
DNS request times out
Timeout was 2 seconds
DNS request times out
Timeout was 2 seconds

…for a bit. On the other hand, sometimes I don’t get any timeouts and the nslookup just resolves the way it’s supposed to.

My security/firewall is the basic Windows Defender built in one. This computer is a brand new windows 10 desktop.

Whatever do I do now? Having most webpages take 5-10 seconds before the DNS resolves and the page loads is driving us nuts! Why is DNS so compromised on this PC, regardless of DNS server specified, regardless of which network adapter (wired or wireless) I use? What’s my next step??

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
have you flushed your local DNS cache on the problem system?
ipconfig /flushdns

AKh

Reaction score
I have a similar yet different problem that began after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 recently. The strange thing is that on my account (administrator rights) I am having difficulties in connecting to the internet. Most of the time it times out and quite a few times it completely screws up the router DNS so tht I cannot access the internet at all. This happens whether I use Mozilla Fire Fox or Microsoft Edge browsers.

However, on the same machine (Desktop), I have three other user accounts (standard) for my family members. These accounts seem to have no problem at all. the connections are fast as aleways and no DNS time outs.

And, the funny thing is that after the breaking of the DNS and dropped access to the internet on my administrator accoutn, if I sign out, wait for a couple of minutes and then log in using one of the other accounts, everything works fine.

I have tried flushing DNS followed by release and renew while in my account but it does not seem to make any difference. I have also tried to reset my FF to original settings so as to refresh everything. Nothing seems to help.

Anybody has any suggestions?

thanks in advance
AK

Ask a Question