SOLVED Do I Have The Wrong One?

Reaction score
i'm not sure i have the right "windows 10" for a pc. it looks like a phone app... i am having several problems even following instructions for fixes with this OS. for example when i click on the file search at the bottom i have no "view" option... anyways, this all started because i cannot find the recycle bin. i had files and folders hidden on my desktop when i installed this OS. now i don't seem to have one and i cannot find it by following any of the previous fixes. please help... i would like to go back to windows 8 but it seems to have been deleted. even my printer is not working properly!!!
thanks!

Reaction score
emkay, there is more than one possible explanation and cause.

Open any file on your desktop and along the top, find Hidden Files. If it is checked, uncheck it, and vice-versa to see if that helps.

If all else fails, and you installed 10 less than thirty days ago, type Revert to Windows 8 in the Cortana search box in the bottom left corner of your desktop monitor.

Your problems might be the result of having hidden folders on your desktop. I suggest that you set everything back to Default, and then try Windows 10 again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click any blank area of the desktop and from the context menu choose View -> Show Desktop Icons (make sure it is checked).
Click the Start Button, choose Settings -> Personalization ->Themes (from the left column) -> Desktop icon settings (from the right pane)
Check the icons you want to appear on the desktop.

Reaction score
awesome! thanks so much! this did help and i am able to see my desktop again WITH recycle bin... i am however wondering why i don't have a start button? i seem to be running a windows 10 version for a phone or tablet and not for a PC... ? not sure what the deal is but there are other discrepancies. do you know, can i download another version?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i seem to be running a windows 10 version for a phone or tablet and not for a PC... ?
Not sure but you may have either tablet mode toggled on (check the notification icon, bottom right near the clock on the taskbar)
OR
You may have Use Start full screen toggled on (check start button, settings, personalization, Start from left column and "Use Start full screen" in the right pane.

Ask a Question