Downgrade back to Windows 7 - No internet

Reaction score
Hi I upgraded to Windows 10 last night but it was so unstable on my old Dell Inspiron I decided to roll it back to 7. However I now have no internet, or more precisely no Windows 7 software that I had previously can access the internet. I can ping the Google servers at 8.8.8.8 from a command window and I can see the computer is on the network when I log into my hub but IE, Firefox, ITunes, Sophos AV, Spotify etc won't access the net at all.

All my drivers are apparently up to date.

Turning off Sophos firewall makes no difference. One odd thing I saw is that Windows firewall is saying it is turned off by McAfee Personal firewall but I can't actually find McAfee on the laptop. It did get installed once upon a time (possibly when new as a preinstalled program) but I uninstalled it because I have free access to Sophos through my work.

Currently I'm backing up all my files with the intention of doing a restore, however if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You may want to try the mcpr.exe program provided by McAfee, there is a download link on this page in section #2 just scroll down the page
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331
Not sure if Sophos provides anything similar or not.
My thoughts are, the less you have in the way of third party programs installed, the more stable your machine is likely to be.
That's one of the reasons I typically suggest running the machine under a Clean Boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
To see if that provides any stability.
Unfortunately, sometimes in the case of some third party security suites, even a clean boot will not always manage to take them completely out of the picture and uninstalling them completely if often the only recourse.

Ask a Question