SOLVED How to downgrade newly purchase computer with windows 10 to windows 7?

Reaction score
My mothers computer just crashed. It is her communication with the world link. She is cancer patient, and don't get out very much. I bought her new laptop, everything comes with Windows 10 these days. I was struggling with it myself, she honestly tried to get used to it, but after 2 weeks of frustration, I gave up and started looking into either returning laptop, or figuring out how to downgrade it to comfortable for her windows 7. The guy at Geek Squad, didn't suggest downgrading it. He said I will have problems. Anybody can give me good advise??? I already looked into buying refurbished comp with Windows 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some people have suggested that installing Classic Shell, helps them better get around the new Windows 10 environment.
Maybe give that a try and see if it helps.
http://classicshell.net/

Reaction score
Do you have an idea as to what your mother is having issues with?
  1. If it is the Start Menu that is unfamiliar with her, there is third party start menus available. I'm personally using Classic Shell.
  2. If Microsoft Edge is some what awkward, there is still the option to use Internet Explorer instead.
  3. Even though there is a new Settings menu, the old Control Panel is still available.
Aside from those three, I'm not sure what else would be all that different from Windows 7.

As far as downgrading, you would likely need to buy Windows 7. If downgrading was an option it would likely only be Windows 8.1 available as an option. And if your mother is having issues with Windows 10 compared to Windows 7, she surely wouldn't want Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Is she ok with the Mail available on this machine? What was she using before?

Firefox and Chrome browsers are available and work on W10 just as they did on W7

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. She is having problems with everything looking different, she gets lost and frustrated. Start menu looking different, not being able to access all programs as she used to do. The Edge. Not being able to download pictures from phone. It's used to see the phone as a storage devise and it was super easy. Now, I spend a lot of time and was frustrated by the fact that it don't even recognize it. I was able to load pictures from her camera as usual, but not smart phone. I will try to install Classic Shell and get Chrome and see how it goes for her. Appreciate all of the help.

Reaction score
What type of cell phone does she have? I have an Android phone and had to download and install drivers for it. Now Windows 10 sees it just fine.

Reaction score
It's android. HTC One M8. I will try that. Thanks for suggestion.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. She is having problems with everything looking different, she gets lost and frustrated. Start menu looking different, not being able to access all programs as she used to do. The Edge. Not being able to download pictures from phone. It's used to see the phone as a storage devise and it was super easy. Now, I spend a lot of time and was frustrated by the fact that it don't even recognize it. I was able to load pictures from her camera as usual, but not smart phone. I will try to install Classic Shell and get Chrome and see how it goes for her. Appreciate all of the help.
How was she downloading pictures from her phone before. If she's using the Google Photo app on her phone it isn't Windows 10 that is the problem - it's the app. I was using it and then it just stopped working. After some research I learned tons of people are having a problem with it; and it doesn't matter what operating system your computer has.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your help. I installed Classic Shell, and Chrome. After that something worked out with phone and all of the sudden it was allowing me to get to the pictures as it usually done with Windows 7. Mom is happy and it's all good.

DG.

Reaction score
I have tried classic shell and it doesn't solve the problem that windows sucks and every time windows 10 does an upgrade it removes the shell and you have to do it all over again. I am in the same boat with a pc less than 2 weeks and The shell isnt solving the problem. I need downgrade info. this is stupid we have to return our pc's because of microsoft stupid operating program.

Reaction score
Well, I have had Classic Shell since I first upgraded and upgrades have never removed it. Sometimes it says it needs to reconfigure itself (I think it's done that once), but other times it just carries on as if nothing had happened.

If you have a problem, why not create your own post and tell us (calmly) what the issues are? we may be able to help.
[Edit - Just seen you have created a new post, but you don't really tell us what's wrong]

Alan

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I have had Classic Shell since I first upgraded and upgrades have never removed it. Sometimes it says it needs to reconfigure itself (I think it's done that once), but other times it just carries on as if nothing had happened.
Same here.

Reaction score
If it were not for Classic Shell, I would have went back to Seven in a matter of hours.

Ask a Question