SOLVED How do I downgrade if only mouse cursor appears?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my notebook to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and in like 1 or 2 days after my mum used it, it now has a blank screen on startup and you only see the white mouse cursor moving. This is apparant no matter how many times I HARD press the power button to switch it off and switch it back on.

Also, I tried to stick a Windows 7 CD in so I can reformat it BUT as soon as I press the power on button, the option to press Del or F12 to enter bios settings to change boot order does not work???

My notebook is now useless and I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

L

Reaction score
Are you certain F12 is the key to access Bios in your computer ?
What make is it ?
I have a Dell and an Acer. They both use F2 key.
I know different makes have different F keys to go to bios.
I just want to make sure you have used the right key.

Reaction score
as soon as I press the power on button, the option to press Del or F12 to enter bios settings to change boot order does not work???

Assuming you have used the correct F key.

One of my laptops is an Acer.
I have had hell of a time accessing Bios using F2 key. Every time I tried that, I had to do several times before the system registered that I was pressing the F2 key. It was a pain.

Perhaps you will do the same....... keep trying.
Sorry, not much of a help I am.

Reaction score
F12 in a Dell will bring up the boot order. F2, gets the bios option ( mine anyway) But that doesn't explain why you F12 key is not working?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it's a laptop then you may have to super cold boot it.
Turn it off.
Unplug it from the wall, remove the battery, flip it back over and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so.

Replace the battery, plug it back into the wall.
Hold the appropriate Fkey to evoke the BIOS (if that is your goal) in advance of pressing the power button.

If the problem persists, you may want to give a wired USB keyboard a try, just to see if it will get you over the hump.

Reaction score
F12 in a Dell will bring up the boot order. F2, gets the bios option ( mine anyway) But that doesn't explain why you F12 key is not working?
Mine is the same. And it's an older model dell.

Also OP, mine has (or had, since I reformatted the drive and wiped it) a restore partition, and it was F8 I believe.

Reaction score
That's correct. But I am doubtful if that will work either, with the OP. It seems something else has been altered in the setup.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply guys but I pressed F2 a few times and it went into BIOS thank GOD and my notebook is happily reformatted and back to Windows 7! Have a nice weekend all!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply guys but I pressed F2 a few times and it went into BIOS thank GOD and my notebook is happily reformatted and back to Windows 7! Have a nice weekend all!

Wonderful.

One last thing to do......
please mark this thread as Solved so that others having the same question will know there is a solution here.

Thank you.

Ask a Question