SOLVED Download of Windows 10 ISO failed

Reaction score
For what it's worth I had the same thing, Looking at files listed in a USB drive shows setup without ,exe. In my case clicking on setup started installation of 10 anyway,

Reaction score
Show or hide file name extensions
A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which program should open it. For more information, see File names and file name extensions: frequently asked questions.

Windows hides file name extensions, but you can choose to make them visible.

To show or hide file name extensions
  1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:
    • To show file name extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

• To hide file name extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
EXE is a known type that may be hidden by default.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I had a look at the contents on the Laptop and it only showed setup (no .exe). Maybe that has been the problem all the time!!
Not likely, you are probably just hiding "file extensions of known types"

HideExtensions.JPG

Can you bring us up-to-date as to where you are at now in the process and what exactly your goals going forward are.

Reaction score
1. Went into Folder Options and did notice that on my laptop the Hide extensions for known file types was checked, so unchecked it. Thank you, that solved this.
2. Tried once again to install W10 from the Windows update. Download went well no interruptions.When it started installing it failed once again, Error 8007005.
3. Tried to do a System Image Recovery from both the DVD-R and the bootable USB. It did not recognize either one.
4. Went into Bios and set cd/dvd to boot first - nothing happened.
5. I am presently, once again, downloading the W10 ISO but this time on my desktop.
6. My Goal now, with your help please, is to completely format the hard drive on my laptop and reinstall Windows 8 Pro, then I will have to update to 8.1 which I know is a large update.
7. Having problems getting into the Bios. The screen says Press ESC to Start Menu, but now it doesn't work. Do I press ESC repeatedly or press once?

I feel that I have tried too many different options on the laptop that the poor thing doesn't know if it is coming or going (LOL). I do have the original disc for Windows 8 Pro as I updated it over the original Windows Home that was on the laptop when I bought it.

My thanks to Trouble, jmccleary and clifford_cooley for the patience and input. I will wait until you reply before I attack the laptop!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am presently, once again, downloading the W10 ISO but this time on my desktop.
Not sure what your goal is in doing that, but.....
Once you have it. Use ImgBurn from here http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Once you have ImgBurn installed, right click the ISO and choose "Open with" -> ImgBurn
My Goal now is to completely format the hard drive on my laptop and reinstall Windows 8 Pro
Is your copy of Windows 8 Pro, the full version or the upgrade version, if upgrade you will not be able to install it without first having a previous version of Windows installed ( Win 7 or 8)
Having problems getting into the Bios. The screen says Press ESC to Start Menu, but now it doesn't work. Do I press ESC repeatedly or press once?
Normally you press the key when the POST screen tells you to. If you are having problems with this, try pressing and holding it before hitting the power button.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, just looked at the Windows 8 Pro Box and it is in fact an upgrade from Windows 7 Home. Can I do a Windows Refresh? If so, how?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I do a Windows Refresh? If so, how?
Refresh your PC without affecting your files

If your PC isn't performing as well as it once did, and you don't know why, you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings.

Note

If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Warning

Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

To refresh your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
SOURCE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Reaction score
Went back to Restore Point before downloading W10 ISO. Downloaded once again W10 ISO.
Burnt ISO to disc DVD-R 4.7GB using Imgburn and checked Verify.
Held F10 down when restarting to enable Bios,
Changed the Boot Option to CD/DVD, it did not boot from Disc, but booted into Windows 8.1
Clicked setup.exe - Nothing happened am still waiting!!!
Went into File Explorer and check the contents of E: which were: boot, efi, sources, support, autorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, setup.exe
There was an message stating Files Ready to be Written to Disc(1) desktop 18/04/2015 16.12 Configuration Settings.efi - if I right click this it says in the menu burn to disc - should I do this?
I am at the stage I will try anything. If this doesn't work I think I will just get a technician to install W10 for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cool.
Then double click the file.
That should add a new "virtual" drive to file explorer
It may show as
Code:
DVD Drive (F:) J_CCSA_X64FRE_EN_US_DV5
or something very similar.
That will contain a file called setup.exe
Double click that file.
That will allow you to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 10

Reaction score
Should I not mount the download first to create a Virtual Drone Drive?
I have double clicked the downloaded iso and d/clicked the setup.exe and nothing happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should I not mount the download first to create a Virtual Drone Drive?
Double clicking the ISO does mount the ISO, same as right clicking it and choosing mount. Makes no difference how you do it.
Right click setup.exe and choose "Run as administrator"

Reaction score
Still waiting...............nothing is happening............is this usual?

Reaction score
Just right clicked the virtual drone drive and did a Troubleshoot Compatability Test and it came back as Compatability Problem.
When I did the original update to Windows 8 Pro it was over a Windows 7 Home Premium (the salesman said that this would be alright). Do you think that this may be the problem?
Is there anyway that I can do a factory reset to go back to W7?
I cannot find any backup discs that I may have done previously, Purchased the laptop in 2011.

Reaction score
I have finally got Windows 10 working on my laptop.
Windows 8 Forums gave me another link to use as I had reinstalled Windows 8 Pro from disk, downloaded W10 but it still would not install. It kept telling me that I had corrupted settings. I ran sfc/scannow and it repaired the settings. Restarted, tried download again from TechBench and still no luck, as I had to update from W8 to W8.1.
There were 159 critical updates and it would only install 98, then the 98 reversed.
I posted the question on Windows 8 Forums with regard to the huge updates and they gave me the link to avoid updating.
Used the link from W8 forums and it worked!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Many thanks to all who contributed to helping me. I got there in the end.

Ask a Question