Dragging icons on desktop stopped

Reaction score
After the upgrade I cannot drag my icons around on the desktop. I get a stop sign icon when trying. I use Fences but I don't think that should have any effect. They dragged alright with Win7. In Win 10 I can't move them around, even when I have unlocked the Fences. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this? Must be a setting somewhere that is preventing it. I have gone though personalization etc and have not found anything to do with dragging and dropping.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Try uninstalling Fences, then reboot and see if you can move your desktop icons around. If that works then check Stardock for a new version of Fences.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just checked Stardock for a windows 10 version....I don't see any. It's just showing Fences for windows 8.1/8/7/XP.

There is Start10 beta that does have Fences with it that is also beta...you might want to give that try.

Reaction score
I just checked Stardock for a windows 10 version....I don't see any. It's just showing Fences for windows 8.1/8/7/XP.

There is Start10 beta that does have Fences with it that is also beta...you might want to give that try.

Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled Fences and I still can't drag anything to the desktop. It must be Win10.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@LilianC

You say there is a stop sign, so I presume you mean there some error, some sort of message along with stop sign.

Could you please duplicate this stop sign + message then follow http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-capture-screenshot/ and capture a screenshot of that dialog with stop sign + message.

Now grab that result screenshot and on your reply;

1. Click button upload file browse for path where you saved it.

up.PNG

2. Click button full image
th.PNG

And lets see what error is popping up, since without knowing its a guessing game.

Thank you

@bassfisher6522

Fences V3 is compatible with Windows 10 see https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Im unsure of previous versions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems like we've resurrected a thread that will soon celebrate its' second birthday.
Not that the tips provided aren't helpful, it's just that the OP's last activity (according to her profile page) was "August 2nd 2015"

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Hahahaha, I have to get better reading glasses

You have to admit, the dates and the background contrast is really not great.
Would someone close these threads please?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe Ian, the Administrator, can program something so that threads over a certain age pop up in a different, or stronger, colour. I have seen this problem quite a few times here ands on other forums. It is within the power of the op to close the thread, but, so often, they are not too familiar with forum usage.

Ask a Question