SOLVED Driver based virus and windows defender

Reaction score
I received n email that states I have used an email account to gain access and track your internet usage etc by installing a driver-based virus that is undetectable.

Should Windows defender find this type of virus? Is this genuine or a scam?

Reaction score
I would assume if the threat came via email, it's most likely a scam. What exactly did the email say? Who did it come from?

As far as Defender finding it, no antivirus software is perfect.

Reaction score
Basically, it said I have access to your email account and have started to track your internet history and, have installed a trojan virus on the operating system. My virus continually refreshes the signature (driver-based). Transfer a sum of money within 48 hours or I will send some dodgy videos to all of your contacts. It was from (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
That's almost certainly a scam. I don't think I'd worry too much about it. I haven't heard of that scam in quite a few years.

Reaction score
Basically, it said I have access to your email account and have started to track your internet history and, have installed a trojan virus on the operating system. My virus continually refreshes the signature (driver-based). Transfer a sum of money within 48 hours or I will send some dodgy videos to all of your contacts. It was from (e-mail address removed)
And they told you they are going to release your wank videos, right? This is a common Bitcoin scam.... These guys are relentless.

Reaction score
Hello, I got the exactly same email, but sender has leaked my password there, should I be worried more then IAM NOW ??

Reaction score
If your password has been leaked then you should change it immediately. Also I recommend turning on 2-step authentication for all accounts which can use this.

Reaction score
same thing here but there have also been some spam emails not mine and has leaked my password

Reaction score
he has also sent the email from my own should i be worried
1649678823273.png
1649678839050.png

Reaction score
Hi Madao. It is a Scam, but combined with blackmailing. - You should report it to the police because blackmailing is a criminal offense.

Also, change the passwords that are identical to the one he put in the E-mail, and where possible activate the 2-level security check ! --- IMPORTANT: shortly after receiving that mail, they began hacking my other accounts where the address was used as a login ! --- If possible, change your mail address or at least activate the 2-level security.

I reported it and they police will prosecute it. - The offender used VPN to blur his real IP, but when trying to hack my Amazon account, he did it from a mobile phone and they were able to track that one. - Everyone makes mistakes...
Don't let them get away with that sort of stuff.
Peace

Reaction score
By the way: I guess nobody hacked you. They just purchased some datasets which were leaked on the internet.

Reaction score
Ditto same issue faced by me today , additionally , There were many security breaches on my Accounts like : riot account ,twitch account , steam , epic games , my university mail ID and many more .... I have 2FA on for all possible sites now .. Not scared by there nonsense but still , data and passwords were leaked , it is a big deal ... Should I report it to cyber crime ?

Reaction score
i just got this same mail i got shit scared but i think its a dataset leak as someone tried to access my spotify as well, but this does mean that you did get hacked sometime ago

Reaction score
he has also sent the email from my own should i be worried View attachment 14113View attachment 14114
I have received the exact same message 11days ago.
I immediately changed my passwords, then few days later whenever I logged into chrome (with my phone), I would see "viewing live page" in small size at the level of keyboard, I searched online, and found on Reddit that it means someone is recording my online activities, and they explained how to deactivate it. When I did that, few hours later, my Desktop Outlook has sent a notification "Outlook prepares the requested view" (My laptop is in French, so the translation may not be the same as the English version of Outlook, but the meaning is there.) and that's where I started being worrying.

Reaction score
This and similar scam emails have been around for years. Claims of hacking your webcam are common. If there has been no sign of actual damage then change your password and forget it after reporting the incident to you local authorities and running malware finding programs just in case.

On the other hand the scammer may be smart enough to spoof your email address as the sender (that happened to me a few years ago when they sent a lot of spam using it). It's very annoying but can do little harm other than, possibly, getting you put on some spammer black lists.

What's more worrying is if they got access to your contacts list. That could prove more troublesome, but probably more embarrassing than damaging, unless they send phishing emails or links to malware sites. You could send out a warning or apology email to your most important contacts, but your own email provider might see this as spamming in its own right if you send out too many too quickly.

As a last resort, change your email address - major hassle but should clear most problems. Don't forget to use a strong password.

Reaction score
The way a virus works is it attacks the receivers email and then sends itself out to everyone on his list and then the next persons list and so on. Look closely at the email that told you this and check the senders addy. I get scam maill all the time saying this acct or that acct was possibly hacked, but it will say pay pal or amazon, but the senders email is like ryeeryawew7s99900rtyhgee0rr0 or some such bs.
Download and run malwarebytes and see what it says, use the free trial and make SURE you get it from Malwarebytes and not some third party. You might find you have some pups, which may or may not be bad, it means possibly unwanted programs.
It sounds like BS to me. People have gotten wise to the phone calls saying you are leaking viruses, personally I loved messing with them, they say they were tracking my IP, but I'm on a VPN. When I ask them what IP they were tracking, they give me an IP that shows up when you check connected IP's on millions of computers, it's a router and you can't track that unless you are logged into it. I'd try to keep them online as long as possible, I'm retired and it's entertaining to make them dance for me.

Ask a Question