SOLVED DVD drive doesnt show up in "This PC"but does in Bios

GH1

Reaction score
Have 2 DVD drives and both show up in boot sequence but then only one shows up in "My PC" and in Device Manager.

I recall in WIn 7 they both showed up and could be used to copy across but not now in Win10

Looking in device Manager and viewing hidden devices it shows up as not connected to computer.

It is and opens and shuts but isnt recognised.

Also showing up is every device I have ever plugged into the machine but arent there now. I guess this is normal???

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does it show in the Disk Management?? It might not have a drive letter assigned to it. Is it PATA/IDE or SATA?

GH1

Reaction score
Ok seemed to have fixed it With a lot of mucking around and changing SATA cables both are recognised and show up everywhere they should. Even better they both work again.
Seems one of the original SATA cables may have been crook. Once I bypassed it and used fresh cables it all works.

What made me suspect it was I connected that cable to the DVD that worked and then it didnt show up anywhere so (lightbulb moment) change cable!!!!!!! Geronimo it all works.

GH1

Reaction score
UPDATE TO this Seems maybe its the DVD drive as it has gone back to being hidden. Also when connected it takes forever for the computer to recognize it and boot up Have given up and disconnected it

Ask a Question