SOLVED CD/DVD Drive Not Working

Reaction score
Just found out that my Optical CD drive is malfunctioning, it was working fine last week.
If I insert a CD with previously saved data the CD will open OK automatically.
1.When a new disk is installed and I click on D: drive, it ejects the disk, and message says:
"Insert disk, Please insert disk into drive D:"

2.Right click on D: select Format and a message says:
"There is no disk in drive D:
Insert disk and try again.

Opened D: in File explorer and it ejects the disk as in 1 above.

4. I tried to create an Acronis Boot Media disk; message says:
"Drive is busy"

Device manager shows the CD drive with no errors and properties say that disk is working properly.
I shut down the PC removed the optical drive unit, restarted the PC inserted the drive unit and device manager recognized the installed hardware. However the results as in 1,2,3 remain unsolved.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Since you have tried it reading a disk and trying to write a different disk, it really sounds like dirty heads. The hardware is recognized so it should read disks as a file source. As for the writing, it has to recognize the blank disk.

If you have a DVD Cleaner disk, try it first. If not, try some air (but gently). If you are brave you can put some rubbing alcohol on a long Q-tip and clean the lens yourself. There are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube

Reaction score
Thanks! After posting, I did some more digging around. In device manager I uninstalled the drive, restarted the PC and re-installed everything is working as it should.

Ask a Question