Insert Disc into drive F: Not reading/working/cd and dvd

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your help,

I've tried various things, googling things, I am a beginner in computer tech literacy. My windows 10 is not playing or reading my F drive cd's and dvd's. I've read you have to BUY an app to play dvds, but its not reading my cds either in WMP, or VLC player. My drive manager says my drive is fine.

Already tried this and it didn't work: "Try removing it from Windows via removing its driver and let Windows detect it again.

Right click start choose Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. double click the drive. Go to the Driver tab, click Uninstall. That removes the current driver for the device, reboot and hopefully the drive now works."

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi CourageLove11,

Have you checked your AutoPlay settings?
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Control Panel
  • In top right of window that opens set View by: to Category
  • Click the hyperlinked Hardware and Sound
  • Click the hyperlinked AutoPlay

Here you will see a number of options for telling the System what action to take when you attach or insert Media.

Make sure you select an action suitable for what you have installed to play the CD or DVD.

If all of that is all ready set correctly, then you may need to check you have suitable Audio Codec files installed for the Utility you intend to use to listed to CD's or view and listen to DVD's.

You may also need to check via Device manager that your Audio drivers are working OK. Perhaps they need updating too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
And the AutoPlay box is definately checked at top of the page my previous advice sent you to?

AutoPlay.png

Assuming it is, can you confirm some things:
  • Are the CD's or DVD's commercial (i.e. bought from a shop) or did you create your own CD's and/or DVD's by burning music or video to the disk?
  • Are you using a Laptop, Desktop?
  • What brand and Model is the computer?
  • Under Device manager can you see DVD/CD ROM listed? If yes, when you expand it are there any alert icons listed there? Yellow icons that point to an issue?
  • What is your Sound, card and video driver (also under Device manager).
  • Finally, has your computer ever been able to play CDs or DVDs from F-drive with Windows 10 installed or has this been an issue ever since you upgraded?

Sorry about all those questions. Having that information though will help in determining the next best action to try and resolve your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question