SOLVED Generic DVD Driver for HP DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought a high-end HP desktop that came with Win-7 but with free Win-8 upgrade. It came with an Intel I-5 G630 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, and "discrete level video." Four years later, Win-10 was released and needed new drivers. I downloaded the needed drivers but HP will not let them install. The reason is that my machine was bought in Sept and HP will not allow machines made before Oct to install the new drivers. Does anyone know where I could get a generic driver to restore my DVD? I was able to restore Wi-Fi by using an external USB modem but when I tried an external DVD drive, it would not work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't believe, at least since Windows 3.1 that I have ever needed to actually install anything to get a DVD working.
Is the DVD present with an icon in File Explorer?
Is the DVD present in Device Manager?
IF not you might try this and see if it helps

Right click the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
OR
simply click the start button and type cmd Command Prompt will appear at the top of the list that is produced, right click that and choose "Run as Administrator" and in the Command Prompt window type or copy and paste
Code:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
Reboot the machine and see if that helps.

Reaction score
I don't believe, at least since Windows 3.1 that I have ever needed to actually install anything to get a DVD working.

I also seldom needed specific drivers since Win95 for basic CD and DVD support. There used to be issues with the different formats supported by DVD, i.e. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. Win3.x and earlier did cause problems as DOS drivers had to be installed and loaded at bootup so Win3.x could use it when it was loaded. It wasn't long before the DVD 'people' got together and one drive could work with the 4 formats, kinda like back when BETA and VHS video recorders were available and finally VHS won out. My first CD drive on my 80386/40MHz connected via parallel port.

Reaction score
Actually, this is a question I have asked several times since 2016, when I lost the use of the DVD and Wi-Fi. Windows diagnostics says "bad or outdated driver." HP's drivers page lists these drivers and I have copied them but HP will not allow them to install. (Installation Failure) I have talked to HP techs who tell me October 15, 2012 is the magic cut-off date. I keep complaining to HP and MS (Each manufacturer supplies drivers...) Wi-Fi was restored via a USB modem but an external (parallel port) DVD would not work.

Reaction score
It must have had a driver. Have you attempted to roll back the driver.

Reaction score
The Win 7/8 drivers will not work. Win 10 drivers are available from HP but will not load. An HP Tech told me: HP does not support computers made before October 15, 2012. This is still an excellent machine with a Intel i-5 G630 CPU, 4 Gb RAM, 1 Tb HD and "Discrete Level Video." This was a high end machine in 2012 and is still hotter than a lot of machines sold by HP and other companies today. One of the phenomena of solid-state is Infant Mortality. This means that if a solid state device is going to fail, it will do so quickly. After that, the life expectancy is infinite. The HD was replaced under warranty in 2016. This is not an obsolete machine but HP is trying to kill it.

Reaction score
I don't know what you are smoking but that is the model number. Next I guess you are going to tell me you are an HP Tech. If so, look at your company's policy.

Well, bassfisher6522 is right. that is NOT the model number. it does not come up anywhere on the web. I have found a S5-1217, G6-1217 and a H8-1217 but not a i5-1217 (i5 usually specifies the built in processor as in Intel i5).
You might want to try finding the model code which usually ends in something like this as in ABA549UT (that is my model code from my HP laptop). Usually one can find it either on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment. There one usually finds also the model AND serial number.

Reaction score
Well, bassfisher6522 is right. that is NOT the model number. it does not come up anywhere on the web. I have found a S5-1217, G6-1217 and a H8-1217 but not a i5-1217 (i5 usually specifies the built in processor as in Intel i5).
You might want to try finding the model code which usually ends in something like this as in ABA549UT (that is my model code from my HP laptop). Usually one can find it either on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment. There one usually finds also the model AND serial number.
That is where I got the number-- on the bottom. This is a high end machine with every upgrade available from HP in 2012. That model number refers to the i5 cpu upgrade. The 1217 refers to the mainboard. The G6-1217 is a laptop - we have one of those still in use. My desktop is in the Slimline entertainment series and uses the same mainboard.
What I need is a Win 10 driver for the HP SW820 DVD. HP built this drive into the case so that replacing it with a standard drive will not work. I tried an external parallel port DVD drive but that did not work.

Reaction score
I tried an external parallel port DVD drive but that did not work.
Try a USB portable CD/DVD drive. I have both an HP and a Lite-On model, work just as good as an internal drive. Parallel-Port use is just about extinct as are the 9-pin and 25-pin Serial Ports, PCMCIA ports and Express Card ports.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is this a laptop or desktop?

Why won't you follow my link and do option 2...it's not hard and will give us the info we need.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c04559742

HP 3.PNG
HP 2.PNG
HP 2.PNG

Reaction score
Try a USB portable CD/DVD drive. I have both an HP and a Lite-On model, work just as good as an internal drive. Parallel-Port use is just about extinct as are the 9-pin and 25-pin Serial Ports, PCMCIA ports and Express Card ports.
I am sure that is good advice and I may try that. The main reason for the need to read the DVDs is that my HD went out in 2016. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty and my files were backed up on DVDs. HP replaced my HD with a new one loaded with Win 7 which I upgraded to Win 10 but that is when I had the problem with drivers. Fortunately, I was able to use a Win 10 laptop to recover my files to a memory stick and read them back to my desktop. I would still like to have a fully functioning desktop.
I used to think that there was no company better than HP. This and other problems with HP machines has taught me that they are lousy and overpriced with poor support. I still have six in use but I will never buy another one.

Reaction score
Is this a laptop or desktop?

Why won't you follow my link and do option 2...it's not hard and will give us the info we need.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c04559742

View attachment 8815 View attachment 8816 View attachment 8816

Went there, did that. Posted this comment in response: I need drivers for my 2012 desktop computer. All you say is no drivers are available. This is HP policy, not an obsolete computer. I bought every upgrade available and my HP SW820 DVD worked with Win 10 drivers until I had my HD replaced under warranty in 2016. This and other problems with HP has changed me from praising HP to warning others against HP. Your stupid attempt to force me to buy a new computer is backfiring. I am here now because I posted my problem in Win 10 Forum and one of your Techs could not believe my story and challenged me to try again. I bought my desktop in Sept 2012 but you have chosen not to allow drivers to install on machines made before Oct 15, 2012. This is costing you because I tell my story whenever I can.

Reaction score
One change in the HP drivers website: They no longer ask for the model number. They now ask for the serial #. Obviously, this makes it easier to deliver this message to users of machines made before Oct 15, 2012 or what ever the date they no longer support.
"No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system. Please make a different selection, or visit the product homepage."

Reaction score
Well I have news for the OP. That is not a high end computer. It is mediocre at best. Even for 2012. You have a 6 year old computer. Might be time to upgrade or go back to a previous operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question