SOLVED Generic DVD Driver for HP DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I took all the upgrades available at that time, converting a mediocre desktop to one that has done everything I have wanted to do. I like the extra features of the entertainment series desktops and continue to also use an s3120n, an older Win 7 machine with an AMD processor and only 2 Gb RAM for many jobs.
It is only the sorry policies of HP that limit the machine. I was able to restore Wi-Fi via USB modem and might try restoring DVD via an external USB drive as well.
One of the phenomena of solid-state is Infant Mortality. This means that if a solid state device is going to fail, it will do so quickly. After that, the life expectancy is infinite.
This is not an obsolete machine but HP is trying to kill it.
I used to think that there was no company better than HP. This and other problems with HP machines has taught me that they are lousy and overpriced with poor support. I still have six in use, but I will never buy another one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Something else is going on here.
I've never installed a driver for an IDE or SATA connected CD or DVD (Optical Drive).
Not in Windows 10, not in windows 7, not in windows vista, not in windows xp.

Does Device Manager show an optical drive?
Does the BIOS show the optical drive?
It's possible that the drive controller may have a physical issue or possibly may need its' own driver.
It's possible that the connection is bad on one end or the other between the device and the mother board.
It's possible that the connecting cable is bad.

As far as manufacturer support....
IF the machine is four years old or more.....
Good luck with that.
AND that goes for all manufacturers
Unless you purchased some super-duper warranty.

Reaction score
I've never installed a driver for an IDE or SATA connected CD or DVD (Optical Drive).

Does Device Manager show an optical drive?
Does the BIOS show the optical drive?
It's possible that the drive controller may have a physical issue or possibly may need its' own driver.
It's possible that the connection is bad on one end or the other between the device and the mother board.
It's possible that the connecting cable is bad.

As far as manufacturer support....
IF the machine is four years old or more.....
Good luck with that.
AND that goes for all manufacturers
Unless you purchased some super-duper warranty.

If you read this entire thread, you will find that this drive did work with Win 10 until I had to return it for HD replacement in 2016. It was returned as a Win 7 machine (I bought it as a Win 7 with a free upgrade to Win 8 in Sept 2012) I was able to upgrade it to Win 10 but the DVD and Wi-Fi did not work. HP does have drivers available for these devices on Win 10 but those drivers would not install. Calling HP revealed that HP does not allow machines manufactured before Oct 15, 2012 to install their drivers. MS say it is up to each manufacturer to provide drivers.
I keep hoping someone will know of a generic driver that will work with the HP SW820 DVD.

Reaction score

HP SW820 DVD Writer Firmware Update 2.6 MB sp62027.exe

Thought you had a solution, but when I ran it, I got the following message "This computer does not meet the operating system specifications. Installation cancelled (99998)" In other words, it was made before Oct 15, 2012. It does not matter that the CPU was upgraded to an Intel i-5, the memory was doubled, and the video was upgraded to "Discrete Level." If I had bought an ordinary S5 after the magic date, drivers would be available and would work. They did until HP replaced the HD under warranty in 2016. This is still a great PC and I use it daily, but HP is a lousy company and I will never buy another.

Last edited:
Reaction score

HP SW820 DVD Writer Firmware Update 2.6 MB sp62027.exe will not install because I bought my machine in Sept 2012.

Reaction score
Try right-clicking the download and selecting "Troubleshoot compatibility".

Ben

Reaction score
Try right-clicking the download and selecting "Troubleshoot compatibility".

Ben

I tried that. Still got the same error message. If I had bought a plain vanilla S5 after October 15, 2012 it would have loaded. My desktop computer is a custom version of this machine bought in September 2012. It has plenty of power but HP wants me to pay another $3K for a new machine.

Reaction score
So What is the current Windows driver for the installed CD optical drive?
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\cdrom.sys

Reaction score
Looks like Microsoft has come through with the drivers I need. Build 17711 came with a new \drivers32 subdirectory that has everything working. This is a change from their old policy of "manufacturers provide their own drivers."

Good work MS. HP still stinks.

**SOLVED**

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So....
The solution was, to install the latest insider preview??

Reaction score
Please mark as solved.

How do you do that? No one suggested a solution.
I have been complaining to both MS and HP ever since 2016. HP is still dreaming of selling me a new desktop but this and other problems have convinced me to never buy any HP machine ever again. Surprisingly, MS has finally added a driver package to Win 10 albeit a 32 bit set.
Microsoft Good, HP still BAD.
MS Si, HP NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question