SOLVED How to get my legitimate Office 10 onto my new computer with no DVD drive?

LRK

Reaction score
I have an Academic version of Office 10, purchased legitmately with the original CD and license for 3 computers. I recently purchased a new laptop that has no DVD drive. How can I install my Office 10 on it. Can I copy the original disk to my hard drive and then run setup from there?

Reaction score
Yes you can copy the contents of an Office 2010 DVD to an external device. And then install using that device. As long as you have all the files from the DVD and they were not damaged in the copy.

LRK

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried that by selecting all the files on the DVD, but for some reason, when I clicked on "Copy," nothing happened. Is there no "Copy Disc" command in Win 10? Do I need to copy each file separately?

Reaction score
Do you not have the option to paste to a new location?

I prefer the drag and drop method. By highlighting all and then dragging them to a new location. Doing this while holding the shift key will move files from one location to another (assuming they are not permanently written).

Reaction score
I would select all on the DVD, Copy, then select your destination, I'd use a USB stick, and then Paste.

Or. If you have licence key(s) then just download Office onto the destination and install.

LRK

Reaction score
Thanks, this is what I had tried, but it wasn't working. Then I tried it again and it worked fine. Apparently, I hadn't used my DVD drive for so long that it had a hard time getting started and wasn't responsive to the copy command. Once I got it working again, the copying worked. Haven't tried the installation from the USB, but will today. Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I'd obtain the ISO Downloader from here
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool
Fire it up, select the "Office Tab", select Office 2010, then select "Office Professional 2010 Academic" version.
Confirm button and select you language, confirm button again and then the desired bit version

Then you should be able to double click the .exe and perform the install.

Reaction score
Office.jpg

just asking.....

LRK

Reaction score
Do you not have the option to paste to a new location?

I prefer the drag and drop method. By highlighting all and then dragging them to a new location. Doing this while holding the shift key will move files from one location to another (assuming they are not permanently written).
Problem was not with my copying technique. Problem was aging DVD drive that was reluctant to read the disc. Eventually it worked, and the copy began the installation. But Microsoft refused to accept my product key. Apparently, I had no licenses remaining--thought I had three, but apparently only had two.
Decided that while I wait to decide whether to pursue (and pay for) a new Office, I would give Libre Office (free) a try to see how it works for me. It downloaded fine and is up and running. A few new things to learn about it, but it is remarkably similar to both Word and WordPerfect (still my favorite word processor). Even has a downloadable plug-in that will create Tables of Authorities and a database of citations for journal articles and books.

In a brief experiment, it opened and processed Word and WP files seamlessly, even ones with photos or graphics.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query.

Ask a Question