Microsoft Office 2007

Reaction score
Hi
I use microsoft office 2007 on both my desktop and my laptop as it does what I want and didn't fancy having to pay yearly to do what I was already doing perfectly well. My thoughts being if it isn't broke don't replace it. However yesterday I realised that on my laptop using File Explorer any word document I tried to open, opened in Word 365 which is on the machine but I haven't used or agreed to use it. I can access my documents opening them in Word 2007. My questioin is has anyone out there any idea how I can reset the default App to open them in Word 2007. I have had a look at the default app setting and Word 2007 doesn't appear. If I uninstal 365 will that sort my problem out.

I have checked on my main desktop which is using Windows 10 Professional and that does open in File Explorer how I wich and in the default app list for the file extension Microsoft Office shows up.

I have some aquired knowledge but am limited by what I can do myself so idiot proceedures help me a lot and someone has always seemed to come up in this Forum which a solution and directions I can follow.

Here is hoping.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I've installed various versions of Office on a number of new computers and always Uninstall the included offering first to avoid various issues involving the offering from Microsoft. Installing an older version afterward hasn't seen the problem of file association. Only thing now is whether one can still get the file converter/compatibility pack for Office 2000, Office XP/2002 and Office 2003 to use the newer format of Office 2007 and later.

Start, Settings then Apps and Default apps should get one to where changes can be made.

Reaction score
Many thanks what has confused me is that that because I don't use word on the laptop often that a month ago it was fine. But I shall try unistalling and reinstalling my 2007 Office package.

Ask a Question