SOLVED Edge browser responds 'Hmm, we can't reach this page' to all requests. Other browsers work.

Reaction score
Seems disabling the proxy server worked for me. Either under Lan setting or under Windows settings or directly through edge browser. Id check to make sure VPN is off too.

Reaction score
Okay.. so definitive resolution.

If the Windows Service "DNS Client" is turned off, disabled, or not running... Microsoft Edge will not resolve DNS entries.

I enabled and started the Service (It ended up being Disabled after the upgrade) and Microsoft Edge worked perfectly.

Brilliant! This was the answer I needed.

Reaction score
Enable the "Automatically detect settings" option in Internet Properties
If your computer is connected directly to the Internet or to a home network (and never connected to a network at work), you might want to configure your browser to automatically detect local area network (LAN) settings so that your computer can go online to obtain updates from Windows Update or Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
Windows 8.1 or Windows 8
  1. Open Internet Properties.
    Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search), type inetcpl.cpl in the search box, and then tap or click inetcpl.cpl.
  2. In the Internet Properties dialog box, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
  3. In Automatic configuration, select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP
    Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then click OK to open the Internet Properties dialog box.
  2. In the Internet Properties dialog box, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
  3. In Automatic configuration, select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.

Reaction score
If your computer is connected directly to the Internet or to a home network (and never connected to a network at work), you might want to configure your browser to automatically detect local area network (LAN) settings so that your computer can go online to obtain updates from Windows Update or Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:
Windows 8.1 or Windows 8
    Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search), type inetcpl.cpl in the search box, and then tap or click inetcpl.cpl.
Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP
    Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then click OK to open the Internet Properties dialog box.

Ah.. actually disabling the "Automatically detect settings" fixes it. Not enabling.

Reaction score
For me, anyway. Might be the other way for someone els I am not sure.

For me , It work with this one

Windows 8.1 or Windows 8
  3. In Automatic configuration, select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK

Before I apply this , Microsoft Edge and all Microsoft Application from Store such as ; Twitter, News and other cant access to the internet. But other app that not related to Microsoft such as Firefox, it can access internet like usual.

After I apply it, all work as usual.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. Microsoft Edge can't open or resolve ANY url's what-so-ever. However, all other browsers work just fine.

I can't make any sense of it. All other applications appear to have network and internet access without any issue. ONLY the EDGE Browser can't do anything.

Anyone got anything on this?

Reaction score
How do you enable and start the Service? Where do you find Windows Service "DNS Client"?

a better option? Follow these steps?
#1- open Internet Explorer (you won[t be able to browse at this point)
#2- click on TOOLS
#3- click on INTERNET OPTIONS
#4- click on CONNECTIONS
#5- click on LAN Settings (towards bottom of the page)
#6- UNCHECK all three options therein (Detect setting automatically, Use script... and proxy server)
#7- click ok, and OK in Internet options.
Restart your machine.
Open IE or Edge and you will be browsing with either in no time. Cheers.

Reaction score
a better option? Follow these steps?
#1- open Internet Explorer (you won[t be able to browse at this point)
#2- click on TOOLS
#3- click on INTERNET OPTIONS
#4- click on CONNECTIONS
#5- click on LAN Settings (towards bottom of the page)
#6- UNCHECK all three options therein (Detect setting automatically, Use script... and proxy server)
#7- click ok, and OK in Internet options.
Restart your machine.
Open IE or Edge and you will be browsing with either in no time. Cheers.

Reaction score
OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  2. Right-click the (wireless) adapter icon and select Properties
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK
Thanks so much, Roland. Been going nuts here trying to get my www and http site completely secured with https, and everything was working great EXCEPT with Edge. When I followed your wonderful and very helpful advice, it started working great. Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
I had the same issue after a new install. I discovered that the proxy option in advanced settings was turned on by default without any proxy settings. That was messed up. I turned proxy option off and all works perfectly now.

Reaction score
OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  2. Right-click the (wireless) adapter icon and select Properties
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK

This worked perfectly. Thanks a million!

Reaction score
How funny, everything I tried would not get MS Edge to bring up google.com or it's ip 216.58.216.14.

I had had some issue the last few nights with windows deactivating and not being able to re-activate.
I got that issue resolved and posted the steps taken HERE.

Now I find Edge not working properly. When I went to "Network and sharing Center" (right click wi-fi icon in task bar). My connection was not listed and there was a message about the "Network Lister" service not running with a link to turn it on. I clicked the link and it fixed my problem. A couple of hours of searching without finding any solution, then I stumbled upon the fix.

I remember turning the service off during my troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows 10 activation issue. Forgot to turn it back on after the issue was resolved.

Reaction score
Encountered a client's machine today on which Firefox and full IE could access the network just fine, but Edge, Chrome, MS Store, and all the AV updaters couldn't get out.

Tried all the recommended fixes to no avail. Malwarebytes found one trojan and a lot of adware, but didn't fix the problem. Network Reset reliably froze the machine.

Noticed the problem didn't exist in Safe Boot (well, you can't run Edge at all in Safe Boot, but everything else came back).

Eventually, it occurred to me to try scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. Bingo, it turned up a nasty trojan called Trojan.0Access. Wiped that out, and all the issues disappeared.

Ask a Question