SOLVED Cannot access Instagram using Edge browser

Reaction score
I have never been able to access Instagram when using the Edge browser. All links on other pages to users Instagram posts return the same "Hmmm...can’t reach this page" error message. If I switch to Chrome all is fine again. I have searched online for a solution to this but have only ever seen people posting about getting the above message when trying to open ANY page in Edge, not just specifically Instagram. Anyone got any clues as to why this might be (other than a Microsoft conspiracy theory to stop people going over to Google products!).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just logged in to Instagram with Edge and it works fine for me - so I think it may be a local problem, rather than an outright incompatibility.

The "Hmmm...can’t reach this page" error is also an Edge specific error. Can you please click the "details" link underneath this error and let us know the full error code - that should give us enough info to help :). I've generated an error and attached a screenshot of where to find the "details" button:

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
The "Hmmm...can’t reach this page" error is also an Edge specific error. Can you please click the "details" link underneath this error and let us know the full error code - that should give us enough info to help :). I've generated an error and attached a screenshot of where to find the "details" button:

View attachment 8512

Sure, Ian. This is the error detail info:

There were too many redirections.
Error Code: INET_E_REDIRECT_FAILED

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sure, Ian. This is the error detail info:

There were too many redirections.
Error Code: INET_E_REDIRECT_FAILED

Thanks!

That is an odd error, it suggests that the Instagram webpage is sending lots of page re-direction requests (301/302) and Edge detects this and stops after a certain number of attempts.

This may be a silly question, but are you getting this on the root instagram URL (rather than from a deeper URL or bookmarked page)?

Can you load up Edge, press F12 and select the console tab and then go to the main instagram URL (making sure that it starts with https rather than http): https://www.instagram.com

Once it's loaded (or failed to load), please post a screenshot of the console tab in to a reply and that may provide a bit more information as to what is happening.

Reaction score
Nope, typing in Instagram.com into browser address bring up this error. As does clicking on someone's link that they might include to a page on their Instagram account. I even just typed the whole https:// address and got same thing. Attached is the screenshot in console mode.
instagram fail.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What's interesting is that if you look at the URL bar, it has redirected you to : http://www.instagram.com/accounts/login/?next=/ - so it looks like the re-direct trips at this point.

Can you try loading an in-private session of Edge (CTRL+SHIFT+P in Edge), then press F12 and select Network and try browsing to Instagram again. Can you post a screenshot of the results here again please :).

Reaction score
HA! - Using an In Private window gets rid of the problem! I have absolutely no clue why that is. Here is the screenshot. You can consider this resolved if you want, but in reality it isn't. Even more puzzling to me.
instagram fail 2.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We're making progress :).

I would suggest clearing your cached data and cookies to see if that helps (3 dots menu > Settings > clear browsing data). It'll mean you need to re-log in to some sites again, but it's worth testing to see if this helps.

Can you please try the same F12 > Network steps in a non-InPrivate session and post the results? Ideally from first loading the Edge browser (perhaps after trying the steps above).

Reaction score
Sorry, I had to wait until I got back to work since this is where the problem was occurring. Weirdly, since we've been doing the above (I didn't yet clear the cache) it has now decided to start working again. For months before this I couldn't access IG using Edge and now can. Computers frustrate the f*** out of me sometimes - And I've been using them since the Sinclair ZX81 !

Reaction score
We're making progress :).

I would suggest clearing your cached data and cookies to see if that helps (3 dots menu > Settings > clear browsing data). It'll mean you need to re-log in to some sites again, but it's worth testing to see if this helps.

Can you please try the same F12 > Network steps in a non-InPrivate session and post the results? Ideally from first loading the Edge browser (perhaps after trying the steps above).
Thanks a lot for your help on this query, I had the same issue with a new Win 10 install. Opening Instagram in a private session seems to have solved the problem!

Reaction score
I have never been able to access Instagram when using the Edge browser. All links on other pages to users Instagram posts return the same "Hmmm...can’t reach this page" error message. If I switch to Chrome all is fine again. I have searched online for a solution to this but have only ever seen people posting about getting the above message when trying to open ANY page in Edge, not just specifically Instagram. Anyone got any clues as to why this might be (other than a Microsoft conspiracy theory to stop people going over to Google products!).
thats the reason i m here..

Ask a Question