SOLVED Edge browser responds 'Hmm, we can't reach this page' to all requests. Other browsers work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Where do you find Windows Service "DNS Client"?
Right click the start button and choose "Run" and type
services.msc
hit enter
or click OK
It should be there in the list. althoough I would think that without the DNS client running or your having manually assigned DNS values statically, that no browser would be able to resolved FQDNs to IP addresses.

Reaction score
Suddenly I am experiencing the "can't find this page" from Edge. It all worked fine the other day, maybe before some W10 update, but now every search in Edge gives me this reply. Hitting refresh then takes me to the page. Chrome works fine. DNS client is running. Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

This is on Surface Pro 3, running W10 pro (updated from W8.1).

Reaction score
Okay.. so definitive resolution.

If the Windows Service "DNS Client" is turned off, disabled, or not running... Microsoft Edge will not resolve DNS entries.

I enabled and started the Service (It ended up being Disabled after the upgrade) and Microsoft Edge worked perfectly.
Thank you so much

Reaction score
Please help1:Mr.JebediahSpringfield, I could not find the last file you told (GUID...)
I am with Mrs LISALISA: How do I enable and start the Service? Where do I find Windows Service "DNSclient"?
I WANT EDGE WORKING AGAIN!
Please help 2: Cortana don't open. Please help me to fix.
Please help 3: Google and Mozilla don't respect their settings. For both I put Google.mu (because I live in Mauritius) as their default search engine and home page but they totally do the opposite. they use different homepages and different search engine, like they do as they want! It's.......annoying, totally!

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. None of the Windows 10 Web functions -- Edge, IE11, Windows Update, probably others -- can connect to my network. Can't access other systems in the Workgroup. Firefox, Thunderbird, many 3rd-party utilities, work fine. Tried to install 1511 update, but neither X86 nor AMD64 were accepted on my (Intel 64-bit) machine. I'm ready to go back to Windows 7.

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. None of the Windows 10 Web functions -- Edge, IE11, Windows Update, probably others -- can connect to my network. Can't access other systems in the Workgroup. Firefox, Thunderbird, many 3rd-party utilities, work fine. Tried to install 1511 update, but neither X86 nor AMD64 were accepted on my (Intel 64-bit) machine. I'm ready to go back to Windows 7.
Solution was, ultimately, to install a new hard drive, reinstall Windows 10 from an .iso, install 1511, reload all my apps and data. All that took less time than the time already wasted with Microsoft support.

Reaction score
Edge is an unfinished product that is barebones nd still does not work. I'll just use a different browser and MS can go pound sand!

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. Microsoft Edge can't open or resolve ANY url's what-so-ever. However, all other browsers work just fine.

I can't make any sense of it. All other applications appear to have network and internet access without any issue. ONLY the EDGE Browser can't do anything.

Anyone got anything on this?
Hmm can’t reach this page RESOLVED.

1. In search bar type “SERVICES”

2. Scroll down to DNS CLIENT

3. CLICK START. If it is already running leave it

4. Right click on windows icon and select NETWORK CONNECTIONS

5. CLICK PROPERTIES

6. Scroll down to INTERNET PROTOCOL V4(Tcp/Dv4) click to open.

7. Select use the followingDNSSERVER

8. TYPE 8.8.8.8 IN PREFERRED DNS SERVER.

9. TYPE 8.8.8.3.IN ALTERNEATIVE DNS SERVER.

10. OK AND CLOSE.

11. In search box type internet options

12. Select programes from tabs

13. On the displayed options open Select your default programes

14. In the programes displayed in the left pane HIGHLITE INTERNET OPTIONS

15. At the bottom of page click on SET THIS PROGRAME AS DEFAULT

16. CLICK Ok at bottom right.

Reaction score
Edge just does not work. On my work or home computers.
Even if it did it's utility is 1/10th of any other browser (IE had enough customization but was still slow and sucked). I now use Chrome or Opera or Firebird. Chrome is the least customizable but it works consistently. The competing browsers are ten times more stable than IE or Edge.
This whole thread is incredible. Why even bother using the POS Edge? I use three other browsers and they all work fine. Edge will NOT search from it's native screen and it freezes constantly and takes several seconds to load every page (especially when looking at a thread on one web site). Give up! Use a different browser!

Reaction score
Edge just does not work. On my work or home computers.
Even if it did it's utility is 1/10th of any other browser (IE had enough customization but was still slow and sucked). I now use Chrome or Opera or Firebird. Chrome is the least customizable but it works consistently. The competing browsers are ten times more stable than IE or Edge.
This whole thread is incredible. Why even bother using the POS Edge? I use three other browsers and they all work fine. Edge will NOT search from it's native screen and it freezes constantly and takes several seconds to load every page (especially when looking at a thread on one web site). Give up! Use a different browser!
I agree theses browsers are good but it depends what usage you require. Opera does not have the option to print selection. I do like the feature of being able to set tiles on home page. I use print selection a lot ,hence internet explorer. since going through the settings modification I have both stability and speed.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. Microsoft Edge can't open or resolve ANY url's what-so-ever. However, all other browsers work just fine.

I can't make any sense of it. All other applications appear to have network and internet access without any issue. ONLY the EDGE Browser can't do anything.

Anyone got anything on this?

What worked for me was updating our anti-virus software. We use Vipre. Had no trouble opening Edge on the two other computers we upgraded to Win10. Because the software is set to auto-update, it's possible I didn't try to use Edge until the software had updated.

But anyway: try updating your anti-virus software.

Reaction score
Roland you are a genius! I had tried everything my have been trying for hours and this is the only thing that worked. I couldn't get any uni work done thank you for sharing.

OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  2. Right-click the (wireless) adapter icon and select Properties
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK

Reaction score
None of the suggested fixes above worked for me. Although thank you all for sharing them! It turns out that my issue relates to VPN. Microsoft Edge still doesn't support VPN IP addresses, while Internet Explorer 11 does. Impressive that this is still an issue as of May 2016.

Additional Details: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...address-but-ie-11-can?forum=win10itprogeneral

"Currently Microsoft Edge seems to be not working well with VPN. And the mechanism to connect to Internet from Microsoft Edge is a little different from Internet Explorer 11 and the other desktop browsers, which I can't explain clearly as I don't know much about it. So based on the current situation, please take use of Internet Explorer 11 instead."

Reaction score
Roland you are a genius! I had tried everything my have been trying for hours and this is the only thing that worked. I couldn't get any uni work done thank you for sharing.

OK, I found the following workaround. Not sure if this is the most elegant way, but it works on my machine and should do the trick until MS will release relevant fixes:
  1. Right-click the Windows start icon on the bottom left and select Network Connections
  3. Scroll down the list and click on Internet Protocol version (TCP/IPv4) and then click on Properties
  4. Change the DNS values from automatic to manual and enter the values Preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS server 8.8.8.4 (Google DNS server address)
  5. Click OK

Just to confirm this works for me as well.
What does it do?

Reaction score
Just to confirm this works for me as well.
What does it do?

Edge simply doesn't work for my "local" VPN IPs. Even while my LAN adapter's IPv4 configuration does point to Google's DNS servers. IE11 has no issues but as I've seen posted elsewhere, Edge still doesn't support certain VPN connections.

Edge gives a generic DNS error message stating it can't access IPs that all of my other browsers (including IE11) access just fine, while connected to my client's VPN network.

Reaction score
Okay.. so definitive resolution.

If the Windows Service "DNS Client" is turned off, disabled, or not running... Microsoft Edge will not resolve DNS entries.

I enabled and started the Service (It ended up being Disabled after the upgrade) and Microsoft Edge worked perfectly.

How do you turn on DNS Client? I can't find it in Task Manager

Reaction score
  5. Click OK
Roland
I have spent a full day, after installing Win 10, trying to find out how to get Edge to work. I have been using Chrome, but am a stubborn coot and persevered. I have looked at dozens of pages of solutions, and yours is the first ( and only ) one that worked. How you arrived at that solution is beyond me, but I just wanted to congratulate and thank you. Microsoft should give you a medal! Shiva

Reaction score
How do you turn on DNS Client? I can't find it in Task Manager
It's not in Task Manager because it's not running. Enter "services" in the "Search the web and Windows" box down where the old "start" button used to be, and it should return the link to the Services Desktop app. DNS Client is listed a couple pages down, and should be Running with a Startup Type of Automatic (Trigger Start). If not, right-click on the DNS Client name and follow your nose.

Ask a Question