Email attachments being opened by win player?

Reaction score
Hi, I have started getting email attachments that open in win player (word documents) When I right click I do not get the "open with" option and there is no print option?
Can anyone help please
Thanks in advanve
Trevor

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
First of all, I'm not familar with "win player" unless you are perhaps talking about Windows Media Player.
Second.... be very careful of opening email attachments that don't have the proper file extensions. Make sure that they are coming from a trusted source, you are expecting them and they are formatted properly.

Having said that, you need to determine what program you have installed that is capable of opening "word documents" (..doc or .docx).
Assuming that you have Microsoft "Word" installed, you will need to set that as you default program.

Right click the Start Button and click Control Panel from the context menu.
Top right corner :"View by:" use the drop down arrow to change to "Small Icons" and then select "Default Programs"
Click the top link that says "Set your default programs"
Select your program from the left column list of "Programs"
Then click "Set this program as default" link near the bottom and click "OK".

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Trouble, I don't know about your ISP but on my ISP's mail which I use as well as Gmail there are 4-5 Phishing mails a week getting through. MAkes you even more paranoid than usual. I even had one today telling me my Apple account was suspended

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wife got one of those ransomware emails yesterday.
Supposedly from FedEx.com only it was from Fed-Ex.com fortunately she came and got me before she went click crazy.
She got so far as to start to download the .zip file that it contained. Fortunately she wasn't sure what to do next so she came downstairs and got me.
I explained to her what it was and the fact that the email header did not contain a legitimate URL and as I watched her eyes glaze over, I just deleted it and excused myself from her office.
I secretly image her drive twice a week, so it wouldn't have been a complete disaster.
Lecturing her on email attachments seems to have reached the point of diminishing returns.

Reaction score
I check the full headers on every email with an attachment nowadays. Got a supposed Paypal one the other day.... funny...no Paypal Logo and I KNOW my dealings with Paypal are legit. Sent it off to Paypal's phishing address and got 2 emails thanking me fo sending it!

My wife was in IT as well for years and is already trained not to open attachments.

Ask a Question