email attachments not recieved

Reaction score
I am sending attachments to my friends but they are receiving the email but no attachments of any sort
All my friends have different ISP's
All have different virus protection
All can open attachments from other senders
All can open attachments if sent by "file transfer" in Skype
all can open attachments if they open emails in their ISP,s web mail pages
I am using Avast anti virus
Have been on the phone to Microsoft for 3 days and they seem to have no idea can anyone please help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

You forgot to mention what email application you are using, but given you are speaking to Microsoft about this, I am guessing its probably Outlook and you may or may not be using the Mail app as a client that came built-in to Windows 10.

If this is the case, then the most likely scenario going on is that your Emails are being sent in a Rich Text format using TNEF standards, and unfortunately, some email clients / ISPs when receiving this format of email will automatically filter out the Attachments and only deliver the text content of the email, because the attachments have been converted to .dat files during the send process.

It's a bit confusing to explain, but there is a solution.

If you are using Outlook take a read of the Microsoft Notification on the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ts-affect-internet-e-mail-messages-in-outlook

Depending on which version you are using, you can probably try changing either the Font being using, or switch from a default Rich Text Format to either Plain Text or HTML, and then send a test email to those you say are not receiving the attachments, to see whether that improves things.

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

You forgot to mention what email application you are using, but given you are speaking to Microsoft about this, I am guessing its probably Outlook and you may or may not be using the Mail app as a client that came built-in to Windows 10.

If this is the case, then the most likely scenario going on is that your Emails are being sent in a Rich Text format using TNEF standards, and unfortunately, some email clients / ISPs when receiving this format of email will automatically filter out the Attachments and only deliver the text content of the email, because the attachments have been converted to .dat files during the send process.

It's a bit confusing to explain, but there is a solution.

If you are using Outlook take a read of the Microsoft Notification on the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ts-affect-internet-e-mail-messages-in-outlook

Depending on which version you are using, you can probably try changing either the Font being using, or switch from a default Rich Text Format to either Plain Text or HTML, and then send a test email to those you say are not receiving the attachments, to see whether that improves things.

Reaction score
Hi, Thank you, I am using the Outlook 2016 which comes with Office 365, I looked at the Mail App that comes with Window 10 but really didn't like the look of it
Lindsay

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

There is a good chance then what is explained in that older notification is what is going on.

Read that and see whether making the changes it suggests helps.

Also, as you are all ready talking with Microsoft, you could mentioned the Notification to whomever it is you are speaking with, as it may help them work out precisely what is going on for you.

The only other possibility I can think of is that security measures on the receivers end from their ISP is blocking attachments, but given this is occurring to different people you send to, it seems less likely that would be the issue as they are probably all using different ISPs or email clients, etcetera.

Ask a Question