SOLVED Email images will not display in Outlook 10 with IE11

Reaction score
Using: W10pro; ie11; outlook10

Had to reset IE11 settings to default after IE11 stopped working (had tried all fixes I could find). Fixed the IE11 problem. But in Outlook 10 email images stopped displaying (red X box only; error message says 'image cannot be displayed and may have neen renamed.....').

Checked both the 'picture place holder' setting (it was off) and trusted center's 'don't download picture automatically....' (it was off). For fun reset them to 'on' and back to 'off' then apply and restart outlook and ie11. Restart computer, again just for fun. No help. Still no email pics. In IE11 checked options/advanced/security and the 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk' is turned off and in mutlimedia the "'Show placeholders' is off. 'Show pictures' is on.

What else can I try?
TIA everyone
Denis

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Denis,

Welcome to the Forum.

The error message you are describing may be indicating a policy change for images linked to an url.

If you attempt to right-click on one of those blocked images to download and get a second error message then the likelihood that the BlockHTTPimages policy has been activated.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, take a look at this Microsoft Article that describes the issue and gives a simple solution to fix it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-displayed-error-in-an-outlook-email-message

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32. However solution does not help. I do not get the "Right-click here to download pictures" error as described in that paper. Right click on image and all you can do is copy it. You can click on it and go to web page it is representing.

I appreciate the help
Denis

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Denis,

The only other thing I can think of then is that the Temp folder Outlook uses for attachments is corrupt or full; both of which would prevent any new attachments being downloaded and viewable.

If you right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) then click Yes to the User Account Control you can type or copy & paste the following to locate the location of this folder:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security" /V OutlookSecureTempFolder

Press Enter key to execute.
  • Now left-click the tiny command icon in the top left corner of Command console title bar then select Edit > Mark
  • Next in the main console window left-click and drag to highlight the File path for this OutlookSecureTempFolder and press Ctrl + C to copy.
  • Open File Explorer and paste into Address bar then press Enter
  • Delete content inside this cache folder
  • Now re-open Outlook 10 in IE 11 to see if attachments work again.

Reaction score
Hey Regedit32, you are spot on, err sort of. Awesome. Here's what I found and how I have worked around the problem.

Once again Microsoft must have changed something that on my system made for the problem. We have 2 users, both have had Temporary Internet Files assigned off the C: drive for years across several versions of windows. Suddenly this no longer works and spouse's IE would not take the 'move files' instruction to same location I use. Or vice versa when I tried that. We cannot share the same temp folder. So, she had no temp space as she had no folder. Once assigned it's own separate folder all is fine.

Curses!!! Why does MS do this stuff. Now when I use a program to remove clutter including IE temp files I have to run it twice under both users, rather than once. Grrrrr.

So thanks and best wishes
Denis

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Denis,

Glad that worked out for you.

That folder though is only temporary and is like mission impossible (i.e. when you end outlook that folder self destructs normally leaving no files inside it; its just a folder to unpack the attachments per se during the session).

Thus you should not need to clean it normally, with the exception of that error popping up.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question