Default web browser and email ignored

Reaction score
I can't set a default web browser and email program in Windows 10.

For the browser, Opera is selected in settings, yet certain things like clicking an advert on one of the Microsoft lock screen pictures uses Edge!

For the email, when I try to select Opera Mail in settings, it's not in the list! So I'm stuck with Windows Mail, which I've never used and never set up, so clicking an email link on a web page opens Windows Mail which can't send it.

Reaction score
Hi hucker,

Settings > Apps > Defaults apps is where you should look!: :):):)

upload_2018-12-15_10-50-20.png

Reaction score
That is where I'd gone. I've fixed the email default not being listed there, by using a registry file posted by someone else, Opera Mail had a bug and wasn't putting itself in the list.

But I've not found a solution to Microsoft's own ads on my lock screen ignoring their own setting!

Reaction score
But I've not found a solution to Microsoft's own ads on my lock screen ignoring their own setting!
Lock screen settings can be adjusted here: ;););) Click on the blue highlighted links for more options. :):):)

upload_2018-12-18_9-59-10.png

Reaction score
Those settings don't seem to work right. Firstly, if I select "Windows Spotlight" which I assume are the Getty Images with adverts, there are no options. So I tried "Slideshow" which asks for a folder of images. I gave it the folder I have my own photos in, and instead I just got a photo I don't recognise, the same one as I get if I select "Picture".

Reaction score
Hi hucker,

are you quite certain that you are fully up-to-date with all the latest patches?. :):):)

Reaction score
Yes, Windows is completely up to date. There seems to be a delay in using my own pictures, locking the screen gives a Microsoft picture, then a few seconds later it displays mine (there's only 30, so I don't know why it takes so long!)

Reaction score
Several things are broken in Windows 10 including screen brightness, I don't have anything else for you sorry. :(

Contact MS and give them hell is all I can suggest!. :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
Screen brightness?! I use the button on my monitor to adjust that, Windows can't stop me!

Reaction score
FWIW. Screen brightness (in the normal settings) is working 100% for me? No other non working items that I can detect, but some I have never tried.
So the thread title problem is solved .or?

Ask a Question