SOLVED Email links always go to Microsoft Edge

Reaction score
I have recently installed Office Professional Plus 16. Google Chrome is my preferred and default browser but when I click a link in an email it always opens in Edge. How can I stop this?
According to my Settings I have to choose Edge, Internet Explorer or something from the Microsoft Store, where Chrome is not listed, when I try to set a default browser there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
According to my Settings I have to choose Edge, Internet Explorer or something from the Microsoft Store, where Chrome is not listed
I think we might have seen a similar problem before and I don't remember if their was an actual solution provided. I think it might have boiled down to a problem install of Chrome.
When I check my Default Apps for "Web browser" Chrome is available as a choice.

Reaction score
I have recently installed Office Professional Plus 16. Google Chrome is my preferred and default browser but when I click a link in an email it always opens in Edge. How can I stop this?
According to my Settings I have to choose Edge, Internet Explorer or something from the Microsoft Store, where Chrome is not listed, when I try to set a default browser there.
Even when I try to set Chrome as default from within Chrome I am taken to the same place, offering only Edge, IE or apps in the Microsoft Store.

Reaction score
Try to change it through the old control panel - default programs. It has worked for some.

Reaction score
Try to change it through the old control panel - default programs. It has worked for some.
That didn't work work for me but a message sent by the moderator has sorted it, though I've no idea what was different!
Thanks for responding anyway,
Jackie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for the follow up information and posting back to let us know.

Reaction score
NOTE - some apps will open multiple extensions. If MS has their way EDGE will be set to open lots of other things beside HTML, like PDF. Sometimes the only way to clear this out is to set the default app by APP not by function (Web Browser). Then you can set the app to open ALL extensions it is capable of opening. You can also set the default app by extension.

Ask a Question