Encrypting files

Reaction score
I am trying to encrypt videos files as I use them for keeping a video diary of my private thoughts nothing juicy or sinister. However other family members are using my laptop and I would rather they didn't have the option of looking at my files. I have tried the right click / properties / advanced options. There is a box there to encrypt the file, however it cannot be selected so it is pointless trying to do it that way. Is there something I'm missing all together ?

Reaction score
Chris Try opening Explorer and right click the folder, select "Encrypt"

Bif

Reaction score
Chris Try opening Explorer and right click the folder, select "Encrypt"
Interesting note, I as well have the encrypted option greyed out in the advanced options...not that I'm looking to encrypt anything but this post caught my eye.

Reaction score
What is greyed out? The check box or details tab. When I checked my PC the check box "Encrypt Data to secure contents" is functional, the details tab is what's greyed out.

Bif

Reaction score
Right click on folder, properties, advanced..The option for encryption under the advanced options is greyed out.
The encryption option doesn't exist under the details tab ( which is not greyed out) on my PC.
Hmmmm.... Interesting!

Reaction score
Chris You still have a couple of options, save the movies to an external HD; or create a partition on your C: drive to save your movies. Both can be encrypted easily using Bit Locker with just a right click. Works well for me.

Bif

Reaction score
Norton & Chris,
With doing some more investigative work on this...it appears BitLocker is only available on Windows Pro versions and not Home, which is what I have..hence the reason I can not find the option...and quite possibly why Chris is also missing it.
I could be wrong....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Biff Other than money, I find it hard to believe that MS would be so cheap with user security.

Reaction score
I am trying to encrypt videos files as I use them for keeping a video diary of my private thoughts nothing juicy or sinister. However other family members are using my laptop and I would rather they didn't have the option of looking at my files. I have tried the right click / properties / advanced options. There is a box there to encrypt the file, however it cannot be selected so it is pointless trying to do it that way. Is there something I'm missing all together ?

1. You could compress them using a Zip utility with a password.
2. You could hide the file type
3. Or you could create separate accounts for each user and only leave view access to your account.

Or see this video

Last edited:

Ask a Question