Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

Reaction score
I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to multiple Windows 7 systems. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install on the Windows 7 systems and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 systems, the file will not open. On the Windows 7 system a .PFILE file extension to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on either of the Windows 7 systems since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

You mentioned you exported the Certificate, but did you also export the Private Key?

Without the Private Key you will not be able to open the EFS files on a different system.

Reaction score
Regedit32,

I went through the process a second time and confirmed that I exported the the Private Key. I continue to have the same issue.

UPDATE. My Windows 7 systems are Windows 7 Professional (32-bit). One has SP1, the other SP2. The Windows 10 systems in a 64-bit OS. Could that make a difference? I don't have any issues using the same files on any of the three systems as long as they are are not encrypted.

I added a new user to my Windows 10 system and tried to open the EFS files. I received an error message: "There was an error opening this document: Access Denied". That's what I expected, I then imported the EFS certificate to the new user's profile and opened the files without any issues. This is exactly what I'm trying to do on my Windows 7 systems, but I can't the process to work on the EFS files.

On both Windows 7 systems I receive a message that Windows cannot open the file. The file name appears (e.g., TestDocument.docx.PFILE). Because the .PFILE is added, it's wants to know what program I want to use to open .PFILE files. I have two options (1) search the internet (2) select an installed program. As an example the file name TestDocument.docx appears as TestDocument.docs.PFILE on both Windows 7 systems.

It occurs on all files. I tested Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf), Text (txt), MS Excel (xlsx), MS Word (docx), MS PowerPoint (pptx), and Photo (jpg) files. In each case, when I open File Explore on the Windows 7 systems, I see the file name, file extension and .PFILE (e.g., TestDocument.pdf.PFILE). If I move the files back to the Windows 10 system, I see the file name and file extension (e.g., TestDocument.pdf); they open without an issues.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the Windows 10 computer also Pro or above.
I was reading something the other day that suggested that EFS wasn't a feature included with the downlevel versions like "Home", which was news to me.... I knew Bitlocker needed pro or above but I thought that EFS was just a feature of an NTFS volume.

Reaction score
Yes, the Windows 10 system and both of the Windows 7 systems are the Professional versions.

Reaction score
Just a quick question since I don't yet know if it is related might be what configuration are your drives in, GPT or MBR...

Reaction score
Have you come across anything which mentions a Rights Management Sharing (RMS) application? When I look for how to open a .pfile this application seems to pop up.

Ask a Question