Error 0x80240ff

Reaction score
Every time i try to update i get this message....Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 - Error 0x80240ff
can anyone help me fix this?
thanks in advance for your help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Katrine,

Welcome to the forum.

Two questions before attempting to offer a potential solution for you:
  • Is your current Windows installation for Home, Professional, or something else
  • What is your current Windows version?
    • If it is Windows 10, then what OS Build is it?
      • OS Build 10240?
      • OS Build 10586?
      • something else?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You are also missing a digit on the error number.. can you confirm please?

I'm assuming the actual error is 0x80240fff which is something that has popped up for people on build 10240 upgrading to feature update. Hence my question as to what build and windows version they are currently on.

Reaction score
I would assume the same thing but that error code is for something unexpected which does not have an error code assigned. Not very helpful... ;)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately it does but pretty sure if memory serves me right the two most viable options in this scenario would be:
  • If user is using Professional they can go to Advanced Update settings and turn off the Defer upgrade
  • Or if user is on Home then best solution is to download the ISO and use media creation tool to create a disk to install with, or simply run the ISO directly as you would if doing an in-place upgrade.

Ask a Question