SOLVED Error Code 19 Problem

Reaction score
Hello! I know that there are other posts about this problem, but I've tried every fix I can find on the internet so far to try and fix my dvd/cd rom disk since discovering yesterday that a cd I was trying to add to itunes wouldn't read. I've tried uninstalling the software, then the scan for hardware changes, but it still continues to say code 19. I have also tried to update the drivers, but that also didn't help. I've even tried the regedit option and deleted the upperfilters (there were no lowerfilters) and that also didn't work. I have watched youtube videos on how to fix this issue, but none of the videos are currently up to date with windows 10, so there was no help there. My computer won't allow me to use the roll back for some reason. I can't/won't delete itunes due to possibly losing music from an old apple id that I can't remember the information to. I'm sorry to be of a bother to everyone, and I hope there is some fix someone can help me with.
Also my computer is a toshiba satellite: l875d-s7332, and it is a x64 bit.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
a cd I was trying to add to itunes wouldn't read
Can we assume that since iTunes is involved that the CD in question is a music CD?
What is the source of the CD ( a retail purchase, a mix CD that you created)?
Can you open the CD in File Explorer and see that tracks?
IF so, what happens if you double click a track?
Have you tested other CDs to see if you have the same problem with those as well?

Reaction score
Can we assume that since iTunes is involved that the CD in question is a music CD?
What is the source of the CD ( a retail purchase, a mix CD that you created)?
Can you open the CD in File Explorer and see that tracks?
IF so, what happens if you double click a track?
Have you tested other CDs to see if you have the same problem with those as well?

It's a deluxe music cd purchased through Target. The cd does not read at all, whether itunes is opened or closed. The autoplay screen does not pop up anymore like it used to on Windows 8. In device manager it says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)." for the driver. This is the first disk I have tried to download since updating to windows 10 in the summer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused.
Obviously you've already done some research and troubleshooting, but....
Is it the disk (the actual CD media) that you are having the problem with, or.....
Is it the Optical Drive (the device you put the CD into)?
IF it is the former, I'll reiterate ..... Can you open it in File Explorer?
IF it is the latter...... Does Device Manager see the Optical Drive? IF you enter the system setup utility (BIOS) does that see that the physical drive is a component of your attached hardware?
IF you open Disk Management is the Optical Drive listed there?

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused.
Obviously you've already done some research and troubleshooting, but....
Is it the disk (the actual CD media) that you are having the problem with, or.....
Is it the Optical Drive (the device you put the CD into)?
IF it is the former, I'll reiterate ..... Can you open it in File Explorer?
IF it is the latter...... Does Device Manager see the Optical Drive? IF you enter the system setup utility (BIOS) does that see that the physical drive is a component of your attached hardware?
IF you open Disk Management is the Optical Drive listed there?

It is the optical drive I believe, and when you click the file explorer, the icon for the disk drive shows off to the side but it has a question mark beside it and when you try to click it, it reads "D:/ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted." I'm unsure how to enter the system setup utility.
CYDfnayWYAEE3zF.jpg:large

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-6_12-43-53.png
    upload_2016-1-6_12-43-53.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 548

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please right click your Start Button and choose Disk Management.
Expand as necessary to provide a robust image and resize the top columns to prevent obscuring any details, then.....
Use the native Snipping Tool to capture an image of your Disk Management Windows and attach it to your next post.
It should look something like this.....

DiskMgmt.JPG

Reaction score
Please right click your Start Button and choose Disk Management.
Expand as necessary to provide a robust image and resize the top columns to prevent obscuring any details, then.....
Use the native Snipping Tool to capture an image of your Disk Management Windows and attach it to your next post.
It should look something like this.....

View attachment 2069
upload_2016-1-6_13-0-45.png

This is what I got

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, thanks.
So, no Optical Drive, that would suggest that Windows does not know that it is there, which brings me back to my earlier question
IF you enter the system setup utility (BIOS) does that see that the physical drive is a component of your attached hardware?
AND
Does Device Manager see the Optical Drive?

DVD_DeviceMgr.JPG

Reaction score
Never mind! I figured it out, and that was the fix. It's working again. Thank you so much for your help! It means a lot!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for hanging in there and working it out.

Ask a Question