Error with Windows defender

Reaction score
I have repeatedly received this message when I've tried to update my Windows Defender

– KB2267602 (Définition 1.215.1520.0) - Erreur 0x8007064

I don't know how to get past it. Any help or suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Disable NOrton , temporarily, and try.
If it then is OK, you have a choice. Uninstall Norton, or, Defender.

Reaction score
Disabled Norton and received the same error from Windows -- Mise à jour des définitions pour Windows Defender – KB2267602 (Définition 1.215.1873.0) - Erreur 0x80070643
Are other updates being downloaded even as this one is stuck?
Do I have to disconnect Defender, or are there other possible solutions?

Reaction score
Have a look at Defender. You may need to enable it again , as Norton might have turned it off.

Reaction score
Defender is disabled 'big red x) but when I push the enable button it refuses, telling me things are not in the right state for the required action. I'm getting frustrated. But thank you very much for your continuing suggestions.

Reaction score
Defender is disabled 'big red x) but when I push the enable button it refuses, telling me things are not in the right state for the required action. I'm getting frustrated. But thank you very much for your continuing suggestions.

try uninstall instead of disable for Norton

see : How to turn on of off Windows Defender in Windows 10 (and 8, XP, Vista and 7) :- http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-turn-on-defender-in-windows-10-3466684/

"In Windows 10, Microsoft has moved things around a little, so you need to open the Control Panel (not the Settings app), and go to System and Security > Security and Maintenance. Here you can see that AVG Free Edition is installed, and is the reason why Windows Defender is turned off. Again, you will need to uninstall any such software if you want to use Windows Defender instead."

"Step 4: When you have uninstalled any antivirus or antispyware, type Defender again in the Start menu and, if it’s turned off, you’ll see a message and a link to turn it on. Click it to turn on Windows Defender."

Last edited:
Reaction score
I finally went through the entire reboot and recovery process, starting from scratch.
Defender is working again, and all the updates are up to date.
I have always coordinated Windows protection with Norton before this. Before I try to balance the 2 again, tell me -- is Windows Defender actually enough protection by itself?

Reaction score
The jury is still out on that one. My own view is that, compared to the free products, it is as good. It does, after all, use the same basic sources for malware definitions. It is also backed up by the fortnightly "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool ", which comes in the automatic updates and quietly scans you computer when not in use.
You will, undoubtedly, get other opinions.
fwiw, Kaspersky, a well known and quite expensive product, has had problems with windows 10, but is currently working, with MS, to solve them.

Ask a Question