Expansion card slows boot-up

Reaction score
I recently added an expansion card to my computer, to give me 2 extra SATA ports.
Now when I boot up, the screen shows text details of the expansion card (and the drives attached to it) for several seconds before the boot process continues, so this does slow down the boot-up.
Is there any was I can stop this screen from appearing?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is windows doing that or BIOS?
Exactly, that's the firmware on the expansion card.
As to whether or not it is avoidable??
It's probably best checked with the manufacturer and or any documentation that might have accompanied the card.

Reaction score
My older desktop had only two SATA ports and I needed a few more, so I put in an expansion card. This delays the bootup cause, as Trouble says, the firmware or "BIOS" on the expansion card is looking for new devices connected to it. It is unfortunately something you have to live with. Even without anything connected to it, the BIOS on the card looks for drives connected to it. The only way you can prevent that, is to remove the card entirely but that would defeat the purpose of the card, wouldn't it??

Ask a Question