SOLVED FACE BOOK Protect 2 step authentication.

Reaction score
Facebook has locked my account until I set up 2 step authentication. The steps in their set up require a cellphone or mobile alternative #. I do not use either, I am an old fart on a landline to desktop tower and phone using Teksavvy server. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my area we have to be careful as FB/Fb means Food Bank and carries a serious thing about confidentiality. Most sites will have a "I don't have either of these" [or something similar] to pick in completing the process. All I've seen had an E-Mail choice.

Reaction score
In my area we have to be careful as FB/Fb means Food Bank and carries a serious thing about confidentiality. Most sites will have a "I don't have either of these" [or something similar] to pick in completing the process. All I've seen had an E-Mail choice.
OK, spelling corrected.

Reaction score
Set up a Google Voice account on your PC. Then you can have the verification code texted to you.

Reaction score
??? what is that?
As I said, I am an old fart on a landline to desktop tower and landline phone using Teksavvy server. I do not have an alternative landline, cellphone or mobile #. All steps I've seen require alternative phone numbers. I've emailed Google help with no replies.

Reaction score
Google Voice is an app that you install in your PC's browser. With the app, you get a local telephone number, which you can use for voice (if you have a microphone) and to send and recieve text messages. I have used Google Voice sucessfully for several years. The only stumble I have had is that Google will not allow you to use Google Voice for 2FI codes sent by Google. For Google, I use a Trac Phone that costs under $7 a month to keep active.

Reaction score
Google Voice is an app that you install in your PC's browser. With the app, you get a local telephone number, which you can use for voice (if you have a microphone) and to send and recieve text messages. I have used Google Voice sucessfully for several years. The only stumble I have had is that Google will not allow you to use Google Voice for 2FI codes sent by Google. For Google, I use a Trac Phone that costs under $7 a month to keep active.
Thanks, Gary. Not knowing about cell phones since 20 years ago, is a Tracphone one that's unlocked and you buy a SIM card? Does each SIM card have a phone # or is the phone # assigned to the phone?

Reaction score
Tracphone (at least the way I use it) I buy a package that gives a stated number of minutes for a specified number of months, i.e. 3 months of service and 60 minutes of use, voice & text. There are many packages & variations to choose from. About the only time I need to use the tracphone is when I set up a Google account on a new machine. The vast majority of the time I use Google Voice for 2FI.

It does have a sim card. The phone # is assigned when you buy the phone, although you can transfer or change numbers by calling tracphone.

I have a landline for my conversation needs. I only use the Tracphone for Google 2FI and emergency situations where the landline is not available.

[edit] I use Google Voice when I need to text some one. The tracphones I have only have number pads like a landline, no alphabetic keyboard.

Ask a Question