Failed--But I Know Why

Reaction score
A few days ago, I was celebrating my success in upgrading a neighbor from 7 to 10. I had already upgraded three 8.1 laptops and one 7 computer to Windows 10.

Today I had to take him back to 7. (Go to Ask Cortana and type in "How do I go back to Windows 7?") It went back with no problem in about five minutes.

The problem? His passwords. 10 makes you sign in to every back account, e-mail account, Facebook account, etc., because you are on a new operating system. He was confused on his passwords. He didn't know if he had a Microsoft account or a Chrome account, and when it turned out that he did, he didn't know the passwords. They sent his passwords to his e-mail account, but he couldn't sign in to read them. He uses Bellsouth e-mail, which no longer exists, but it works for him.

So---before upgrading somebody, make sure they know all their passwords.

Reaction score
I do a lot of computer repairs for friends and family. I have this one particular friend that never remembers his passwords and then blames me for not being able to fix his problems. Finally about 2 weeks ago he came to me again with the same attitude and I told him to take it to a shop. I never charge friends or family and I'll be damned if I'll take attitude from someone that can't remember passwords :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Ram. The guy didn't get angry at me, though. He just didn't know his passwords, didn't know if he had various accounts, etc. He had everything set up the way he wanted it on Windows 7, and fortunately, it restored correctly.

Can't win 'em all.

Reaction score
My mother has all her passwords written in a small notebook and locked up. When I went from 7 to 10 all my passwords went with me.

Ask a Question