Fast Boot Startup

Reaction score
Hi,
somehow i have lost the fast boot startup option. can you please tell me how i can restore this option if it can be restored so i can get back to a fast system startup. Thank You David

Reaction score
Go to Settings-System-Power&sleep. Then go to Additional power settings, choose what the power buttons do, and click the shield then check the box.

Fast Startup uses a hibernation file if you have messed with anything regarding that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, however when i go the what you suggested there is no fast boot option there and i don't know where else to look or how to restore it any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Saltgrass mentioned....
Hibernate has to be enabled as Fast Startup uses it as part of that process.
Open an Admin Command prompt and type
powercfg /hibernate on
hit enter
reboot the machine and check.

Reaction score
Fast Boot and Fast Startup may be different things. Many systems have aFast Boot option in the Bios Setup options.

If you are referring to Fast Startup then you should see the page below. If Fast Startup is not listed, then Trouble's comments would help.

Faststart.JPG

Reaction score
thanks for replying i'm talking about fast startup. i tried powercfg /hibernate on and received this error

C:\Users\David>powercfg /hibernate on
Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution.

C:\Users\David>

any other suggestions please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
any other suggestions please?
My guess is that you didn't launch an admin command prompt as I suggested.
Normal command prompt launches from user directory.
Admin command prompt launches from System32 directory.

Reaction score
Hi,
somehow i have lost the fast boot startup option. can you please tell me how i can restore this option if it can be restored so i can get back to a fast system startup. Thank You David
You have 'Hibernation OFF and that is your problem, follow "Trouble" has suggested in the above post! Right click on 'Start' (bottom left of your taskbar) click on 'Run' and type in 'cmd' then at the prompt 'C:\Users\xxx' type in 'powercfg /hibernate on' and press 'Enter'.

Now, for turning on 'Fast Startup' in Windows 10 define power button and turn on passwords protection, then do the following:
  1. Open the Control Panel and click on the Power Options icon.
  2. Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
  3. Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
  4. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
Note: If you don't have the 'Shutdown Settings' of 'Turn on fast startup (recommended) option then you probably have 'Fast Startup' already turned on!

To check if you do? Do the following and go into the windows registry:
1. Go to 'Run' > regedit (to get into the registry)
2. To Turn On or Off 'Fast Startup' using a BAT file do the following as the .bat files below will change the registry key and values.

Once in the registry, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power ...then on the right column...go to...'HiberbootEnabled' and double click on it , if your value is > 0 = OFF fast startup if its 1 = ON fast startup. That's it, simple!

Attachments

• regedit fast startup.JPG
    regedit fast startup.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:

Ask a Question