Wifi speed is slow when the network is secured. But fast when open

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a router with access to the internet. I connect to that router via wifi. I'm having trouble with connection speeds in windows 10 only. My system is a dual boot and the other OS works as expected so this is a windows 10 driver issue and not a hardware problem.

When I open the router up completely (no identification and/or encryption) I get expected results on speedtest.net (200Mbps). This is the same as I get in my other OS with the router secured.
However when I secure the router as per the config bellow I observer anything between 20Mbps and 70Mbps.

I would appreciate any help in identifying where the issue is.

The current router configuration is :

Mode : 802.11 n/ac
Channel selection: Auto (44)
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40/80 (auto)
Wireless Network: WiFi 5 GHz: Active
Supported Protocols: N,AC
Security: WPA2-PSK (AES)

My driver is :
Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter (version 7.35.118.68)

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Does your router support WPA2 - TKIP as well as AES you might try switching from one to the other as a test or in some cases you can select both TKIP and AES

Reaction score
Those speeds...almost as if the router is running AC when open but defaulting to N when encryption is on.

Or...you actually have a older Celeron or an old Athlon in there which can't do the arithmetic quickly enough /jk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.
The router has a WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) option but I haven't managed to connect to it in TKIP via windows.
How would I go about testing that?

Reaction score
Just a thought. All OS's platforms are not created the same. I would contact Broadcom Technical and explain the issues you're experiencing, maybe the driver or router isn't compatible with Windows 10 OS.

Reaction score
My advice: beg or borrow another router to replace yours and see if the results vary dramatically. SOHO routers should be considered consumables, the radio chips fail frequently compared to other computing devices, and the encryption faculty is often the first thing that craters. I have encountered many aging routers that worked fine in unencrypted mode yet completely screwed the pooch in any secure more.

Ask a Question