SOLVED File transfer

Reaction score
My old laptop died, and I bought a new one with windows 10. How do I transfer the files from the old hard drive to the new machine ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that it did not "die" as a result of a bad hard drive.
And without knowing any specific details of its' sad passing.
You'll likely need to remove the drive from the laptop and then determine the interface (SATA or if it is old IDE) and then you'll need one of any number of available cables or docks to interface the drive with a USB connection on the new computer.
That should allow you to view the files on the old drive and drag and drop them where ever you want them on the new computer.
Just Google, SATA to USB adapters or IDE to USB adapters they're pretty reasonably priced.....
OR
For slightly more money you could get the same thing in an external dock, which you might find would come in handy in the future.

Reaction score
Assuming that it did not "die" as a result of a bad hard drive.
And without knowing any specific details of its' sad passing.
You'll likely need to remove the drive from the laptop and then determine the interface (SATA or if it is old IDE) and then you'll need one of any number of available cables or docks to interface the drive with a USB connection on the new computer.
That should allow you to view the files on the old drive and drag and drop them where ever you want them on the new computer.
Just Google, SATA to USB adapters or IDE to USB adapters they're pretty reasonably priced.....
OR
For slightly more money you could get the same thing in an external dock, which you might find would come in handy in the future.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've already tried that route
And when you tried "that route", what exactly happened?
Assuming no damage to the old drive (physical or mbr corruption) that is usually a reasonably fool proof way of accessing the contents of another drive.

Reaction score
And when you tried "that route", what exactly happened?
Assuming no damage to the old drive (physical or mbr corruption) that is usually a reasonably fool proof way of accessing the contents of another drive.
When I hooked it up, windows would only allow me to load it in Dropbox. After the transfer was complete, there were no files in Dropbox. Windows recognizes the drive, and shows that there is content on it. I had been having problems powering up for a while, but I have no reason the believe that the drive is bad.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I hooked it up, windows would only allow me to load it in Dropbox
Not sure what you mean by "load it"
When you connect the drive, does it appear in File Explorer?
Does it appear in Disk Management?
Can you "Open" it from either of those?

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "load it"
When you connect the drive, does it appear in File Explorer?
Does it appear in Disk Management?
Can you "Open" it from either of those?
Transferring the files to Dropbox. It doesn't appear in file explorer, and while windows ecognizes it in devices, I can't open it from there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What about Disk Management?
Does it show up there?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and select it from the menu.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Xmenu.JPG
Second one below that

Reaction score
I have had much success with Disc Management. I have been able to copy some files , and can access the disc.
Thanks.

Ask a Question