Fingerprint sensor not working again on my Laptop running Windows 10 Version 21H2

Reaction score
Windows 10 Version 21H2

I've had issues over the past few years with the Fingerprint sensor.

I was able to get it to work a few years ago...but it stopped again the other day.

I've watched numerous tutorials on You Tube on how to try to fix it.

This is 1 of the 2 You Tubes I watched yesterday which have the methods I have tried to get the Fingerprint sensor to work again on my laptop. (I'm still trying to locate the 2nd You Tube I watched.

Fix Windows Hello Fingerprint This option is Currently Unavailable Something Went Wrong Try Again - YouTube

None have worked.

1 is deleting the contents of the NGC folder. I am not able to delete the contents of this folder even in Safe Mode
It keeps telling me I do not have permission. I have followed instructions on finding my user name and Checking Names and it still doesn't allow me to delete the contents.

I don't know what else to do at this point.

One of the previous solutions is still showing this in Biometrics:
Windows Hello Face Software Device. The driver is working properly. But under details it shows this message:

Device Root\WindowsHelloFaceSoftwareDriver\0000 requires further installation.

I uninstalled this Windows Hello Face Software Device and then ran powercfg/requests but the same error messages appear: "process device hard disk volume 4\windows\system32\dllhost.exe a file deletion is in progress"

Yesterday in one of the suggestions, the presenter had me go to C drive, Windows folder, then System32 folder, SystemProfiles folder, WinNioPlugins folder, Face Driver folder, right clik on Hello Face (setup information) Clik on Install. It DID NOT generate the Operation succesfully. But today it just did succesfully install.

But under Windows Hello Face Software Device. The driver is working properly, it still shows this message:

Device Root\WindowsHelloFaceSoftwareDriver\0000 requires further installation.

Any suggestions on how to get this to Fingerprint sensor to work again on my HP Envy laptop?

Thank you.

Ask a Question