Fingerprint gone missing from sign-in options

Reaction score
I've had this HP Envy 13-d053sa (factory installed Win10) for a couple of months now, always permitting me to sign-in with my fingerprint until today.

Today I found that I had lost my PIN code and my fingerprint sign-in option had disappeared from the settings menu. I managed to set up a new PIN, but the fingerprint option remains unavailable (not even any flashing light on the device itself). (Incidentally, Norton Internet Security also stopped working and I had to remove and re-install it.)

I updated the fingerprint device driver through the HP updater webpage, but still no joy.

How do I get fingerprint back in my sign-in options please?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I updated the fingerprint device driver through the HP updater webpage, but still no joy.
It looks like there may be two pieces to the feature.
The driver -> Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver
AND
The supporting software -> HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software. It's possible that you may need to reinstall that as well and then configure it to "sign into Windows.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-13-Notebook-PC-series/7771341/model/8942316
AND
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03653209

Reaction score
I don't know anything about HP SimplePass, but I downloaded it from the first link you provided above. The second link seems to apply to Win8 and doesn't carry over well to Win10 so I was a bit lost, but I searched for and found HP SimplePass on my machine and tried to run it. It doesn't offer the fingerprint option.

I seem to spend half my life chasing problems that appear on these machines out of nowhere.

Ask a Question