Firestudio Project Studio Firewire 400

Reaction score
Got a Dell XPS 15 9500 to use to connect to a pair of Firestudio Project Firewire 400 Audio Interfaces that I have patched in serially into a series of 3 adapters to allow connection to USB C on the Thunderbolt port of the XPS. This all works when connected to my 2017 Macbook Pro. (I am moving to Windows because Presonus has stopped support of the FireStudio Projects with Big Sur completely.) The interfaces sync and I am able to record on all sixteen XLR channels consistently. But when I put the USB-C connector to my XPS into the Thunderbolt port. The second interface keeps "losing" it's connection to the XPS. Thus I get drop outs of 8 XLR Channels. You can see on the second interface that indicator light flashes for a second red (connection lost) then back to blue (it is connected). Then about a minute later it does it again. Presonus is telling me that LSI chipset in the XPS cannot handle more than one interface. But they cannot tell me why. Whether it is because of Firewire distance or hardware address space. I am still pressing them to get me answers. (Presonus says that you can still use Firestudio Projects in Windows 10.)

Just wondering if folks on the forum can give me insight on how I can everything working on Windows 10 and Dell XPS. I am a bit out of my league having been away from Windows for about 10 years.

Any pointers to websites (other than Presonus [they are no help to me at this point], or experience would be much appreciated. I am going no where with Presonus support. They just keep asking me to upload msinfo NFO files.

Ask a Question