SOLVED Cannot project to desktop computer

Reaction score
I am back with a similar request I made some time ago.

I have a HP All-in-One Pavilion desktop and a HP laptop.

When I bought the laptop I could connect to my desktop.

Now when I try, this message, (in red ink), is displayed.

This device doesn’t support Miracast, so you can’t project to it wirelessly.”

Am I to understand that Microsoft just eliminated this feature? Does anyone have any clarification?

Thanks for reading

James

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-09 164022.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-09 164022.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 132
Reaction score
My laptop ( Lenovo) with Intel graphics used to be able to project to my main PC ( Nvidia graphics) but not the other way around.
My new desktop with Intel graphics cannot project nor be connected to. And my laptop wont project or be projected to anymore. I have one of those Microsoft devices that plugs into an HDMI slot on my tv and I think the laptop may be able to project to the tv using that.

I did read somewhere that Miracast was no longer supported. Can't remember where. So in your case you might have a driver update.

Anyway Windows-R Dxdiag. Save all and allow the save to some convenient place. Scroll down the file and under the video section see if Miracast is supported. Do this on both machines.

Reaction score
@Tim Locke Thanks for the reply.
I am a bit confused, ( not at all unusual). In attempting to get my computers to associate with each other, I tried different things. The last one was to turn on Bluetooth on both computers. Everything immedate;y worked. They conected both ways, I could select "PC screen only", Duplicate", Extend", or "Second screen only".
I didn't know Bluetooth was necessary but it appears to me that turning on Bluetooth allowed the two machines to see and connect.
Anyone have any input on this?
Also, it appears that Miracast applies only to wireless connections.
I will mark this thread solved.

Reaction score
My Dell Inspiron Zino 400 on my 1903 build PC has no bluetooth and yet Miracast works perfectly. Miracast uses WIFI Direct, not bluetooth. More likely your bluetooth and WIFI are linked somehow so enabling one also enables the other.

Reaction score
I tried with bluetooth on all the pcs while answering jrj's question. I agree that Miracast is Wifi direct but turning on Bluetooth could certainly 'associate ' the machines.

Ask a Question