SOLVED 'Fixing' Word doc pages.

Reaction score
Not sure if I can put this question succinctly but I will try: I have produced a ten page document in Word. Some of the pages are not full; I've deliberately left room to update them later. When I now try to add three more lines of type to page 3 for example, all the successive pages 'move on' by three lines and there is an additional page created at the end of the doc. Can anyone please tell me how to 'fix' all the pages so that when I add type to a page which still has available space, all the successive pages remain unchanged? Thank you, any help would be very much appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you may have save areas for future editing by adding carriage returns (the enter key) as depicted in the image below.
You can turn on the show/hide button to expose these by clicking the icon in the ribbon that looks similar to those characters

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

You'll need to remove the equivalent number of those to correspond to the number of lines you wish to add in order to prevent additional lines being added to the end of the document.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I seem to remember that I used to do this by putting Ctrl-Enter to move to a new page thus leaving the current page with space in it.

Just tried. That works. probably best to type Enter ( hard line break) at the end of the first set of data on page 1 and then Ctrl-Enter (hard page break) to force the page break. So you can just go back to that point on P1 to carry on

Reaction score
Wound that be solved by opting for type over rather than insert?

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Trouble, Tim Locke and davehc. All three suggestions work perfectly, they are all equally effective. In future when I create a new multi-page doc from scratch I will use Tim's suggestion because it seems to be the most simple to set up. Once again, many thanks to all three of you. I will now mark this thread as solved.

Ask a Question